Remove Rock

mlessirardMay 18, 2008

We are buying a house with an exisitng rock wall fireplace that needs updating. Here are some pictures. Husband does not like rock wants to paint. I just want to take rock off and start over.

Do I take down and start over or plaster over existing surfac? Mantel needs updating and existing rough sawn cedar is embedded in rock. So when it's removed there will be gaps.

Question, it's seems like rock is not that deep and a veneer almost over drywall. That would be easier to remove? or is it hard. Thanks!

Here are some details:

-

I'd like to install a continous beefy mantel, with cultured stone below and finished plaster above.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bartelsjoshuac

Looks like fake 1/2 rock or real cut 1/2 rock, either way doesn't matter. It should be pretty easier to tear off, it is probably held to the wall by metal clips that are screwed to the studs and embedded in the mortar. Then hang new drywall, mud it and paint. I removed a similiar brick fireplace from my house and it was fairly easy, in fact the whole facade came off in one piece, but I could not lift it, I had to break it up to get it out. Look down to the Bodart & Gonay thread and there are a bunch of pictures.

Bookmark   May 20, 2008 at 11:14PM
More Discussions
Feedback on MORSO 5660 unit with blower
Hi all- we're replacing our wood insert to get a sleeker...
thehype
Napoleon Fireplaces - Be Careful
I purchased an expensive Napoleon fireplace last summer,...
joc6820
Bodart & Gonay Optifire zero-clearance wood FP?
While browsing around shopping for a wood zero-clearance...
rosie
Gas Fireplace question
We recently bought a second home, and it has a gas...
grapefruit1_ar
Recommendations on Double Sided Direct Vent Gas fireplace!
Hello, I'm remodeling my home in California and want...
roadrunnerrita
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™