need help shopping for chaise sectional

swangFebruary 9, 2013

Hi,

We know nothing about furniture and are now wanting to buy a new couch. I am at a loss because there are so many choices. Many look the same but have such different prices. We have relied on hand me downs and ikea furniture so far. But at this point we'd like to get a nice-looking comfortable couch that will continue to look nice for at least 5 years. I think the most we'd be willing to spend is around $2500.

We are looking for a smallish sectional with chaise on one side (less than 100" wide)in a medium color brown or grayish fabric. Can anyone give me some tips for which brands to go with or steer clear of? I am totally ignorant in what to look for and how to tell if the cushions will start to look saggy and messy in a couple months. Should cushions be down-filled? Springs? Foam? What kind of cushions should be looking for?

These are some that I like the look of.
http://www.wayfair.com/Rowe-Furniture-Sullivan-Mini-Mod-Microfiber-Sectional-F23X-L306-K~RWE1441.html?refid=GX15983729820-RWE1441&gclid=CJW19c_XqLUCFU1yQgodr3AAZQ

http://www.echofurnituresf.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/1005121747.jpg

Thanks so much for your help.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rmanbike

I suggest avoiding Rowe furniture, their frames are of pine plywood stapled together, they use low density foam in their frames and their better grade 1.8 density HR seat foam will flatten because of the polyester fiber wrap. (HR foams should have 2.0 density+) And their overall quality of cutting - sewing - upholstery is poor at best.
If your shopping online, best to buy directly from the manufacturer, like Carolina Chair or Icustomsofa.

Bookmark   February 9, 2013 at 9:47AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
swang

Thanks. I will look at those companies. But how do you know you will like it if you can't try it in person? It makes me hesitant.

Bookmark   February 10, 2013 at 12:39AM
More Discussions
crate barrel sofa quality
what can be said about the crate and barrel sofa quality...
kermit_xc
Online slipcover companies
Need to re-slipcover our Arhaus Greta sectional, and...
kardut
Need suggestions to soften my recliner
I bought a recliner from China, construction is fine...
biax
Hancock & Moore older leather chair, maybe H&M sofa,can they be saved?
I have an opportunity to pick up this chair and sofa...
aesanford
Who Are Reputable Made In America/North American Furniture Companies?
I am looking for great-room/living room furniture for...
mothersnood
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™