Split Mahogany Furniture

nszzyaFebruary 16, 2011

In 2003, I purchased solid mahogany furniture (made in Indonesia) from what I'd consider to be a reputable, high-end company. This included an armoire, bed frame and two bedside tables. Total cost about $13,000. About a year later, all of the pieces split and the manufacturer replaced them. Now, the armoire and a bedside table have split again. The company has indicated that the manufacturer will probably not replace them since several years have passed. They are willing to have repairs made. I'm looking for opinions regarding how long furniture of this nature should last. Would I be out of line in asking for a replacement or refund?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
englishclassics

After 8 years, I don't think that it is advisable to ask for a replacement or a refund. Alas, hindsight is 20/20, but in the future, I recommend against purchasing solid wood furniture unless you REALLY trust the dealer. In my view, quality furniture and Indonesian furniture are for the most part mutually exclusive categories, so I wouldn't place the dealer who you purchased your items from among the dealers that you should trust. Many cabinetmakers offer MDF furniture, since it never warps, splits, or cracks. ALL solid wood warps, splits, and cracks over time, but if it only takes 1 year to do so, then the cabinetmaker is using the wrong moisture content for their wood.

Bookmark   February 22, 2011 at 1:49PM
More Discussions
Upholstery Fabric Durability
I am about to purchase a Lee Industries couch and two...
3kidsonedogandus
How do I Deep Clean a Filthy Leather Sofa?
I purchased a used leather sofa off Craigslist last...
trofywife
Flexsteel vs. Lane vs. Natuzzi leather sectionals
I'm pretty confused and hoping for some solid comparisons...
tuckerlr
need help with living room furniture placements
Hi, I have this living room 16.5 by 21.5 and the fireplace...
missbaggy
Leather Furniture Expo
I'm considering purchasing a sofa by Elite Leather,...
Jen44012
Sponsored Products
AICO Furniture - Beverly Blvd 5 Piece Upholstered California King...
Great Furniture Deal
AHB Solana Bar Stool - 111129
$149.95 | Hayneedle
Cherry Adjustable Nursing Stool
$28.99 | zulily
Touring Bar
| Italy Design
West Leather Ottoman - Brighton Ciment Gray
Joybird Furniture
Four Corners Table
$249.99 | Dot & Bo
King Seersucker Stripe Dust Skirt