Ceramic Tile Installation over 2 different substrates

markdb77January 16, 2011

The area that I am going to install the 16"x16" ceramic tile consists of a kitchen with wood subfloor and adjacent room with concrete slab.

I have ripped out the plywood in the kitchen, so only the 2x8 planks remain. As it is now, the wood planks are about 3/4" below the height of the slab in the back room.

My plan, until now, has been to glue and screw 1/2" wonderboard to the planks, then feather out the remaining 1/4" difference between the 2 different floor heigths with floor leveler. Then lay tile directly to the slab and wonderboard with thin set.

After doing some research, it seems that I should be considering an expansion joint between the 2 different subfloors and also install plywood on top of the wood planks, then install the wonderboard on top of that.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
don92

By 2x8 planks do you mean 1x8 subfloor or 2x8 floor joists? If you are 3/4 inch below slab I believe I would but 3/4 inch t&g OSB on wood floor and then float 1/2 inch Hardi board over entire area making sure to straddle wood to slab joint with the Hardi. Get that joint very flat as 16x16 tile are very unforgiving

Bookmark   January 17, 2011 at 1:01PM
More Discussions
Is it a bad idea to use pebble tiles in the kitchen?
I am wondering if pebble tiles work ok in the kitchen...
sherry0117
Tile over fiberglass?
Long story short, we added some porches to our new...
Nick Anderson
Natural hickory...yes or no....pics inside
I got a sample box and put it out on over the carpet...I...
msekfe
Review on Taun wood
Has anyone used Taun wood for flooring? We are looking...
itspepsico
Tiling on Cement Subfloor or Wood Subfloor?
I live in San Francisco and we are not near any water...
gqchynaboy
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™