Tulikivi construction complete

halfbarnranchjakeMay 31, 2006

We are a couple of months away from the finish work being complete on our new construction, but last week the finishing touches were put on the Tulikivi (Finnish Soapstone Fireplace).

It's 10,000 lbs, wood burning and 90+% efficient. It also has a bake oven. A local winery has the same model though a little larger (12,000 lbs) and it is warm to the touch for 3 days after a fire.

To be sure this is investment grade, but I think it makes a nice focal point as well.

You can see pictures of it here:

http://halfbarnranch.photosite.com

in photo album Half Barn Part 4

You can see other models here:

http://www.oregonfiresides.com

Note: My only affiliation with Oregon Firesides is as a customer

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mountainstoveguy

ohh man, you have to post this over at heart.com they will love it. Congrads on a kick butt stove.

Bookmark   May 31, 2006 at 2:16PM
nhyankee

Without being overly churlish, how much does something like this cost? It's a great looking piece. Kudos on your new construction.

Bookmark   June 1, 2006 at 12:30PM
halfbarnranchjake

I don't know the cost of the heat shield (Copper over backerboard and metal studs yet). The Tulikivi itself with the options (i.e. bench, oven, green accents) I chose was just shy of $24K shipped from Finland and installed. That does not include the concrete support construction / engineering costs, however. Smaller models with less options should run significantly less.

We looked at this as a "forever" focal point in the home. We've done Waterford gas inserts in a couple of homes, we'll have a Jotul, I believe, in the alcove of the Tulikivi support (in the basement).

Bookmark   June 1, 2006 at 2:09PM
azinoh

Congrats and thanks for sharing. How long did this take...from time fireplace was ordered to completion?

AZ

Bookmark   June 1, 2006 at 8:10PM
halfbarnranchjake

Construction of the stove itself was 2 weeks. The flue pipe / chimney cap was a good part of a day. Chimney took the mason most of a week. The radiant barrier took a good part of a day. We ordered the Tulikivi in July of last year so that it had plenty of time to ship over.

Bookmark   June 2, 2006 at 12:29PM
dixielogs

Love the Tulikivi. We have a similar model with bakeoven in the middle of our house. I find that I can put a sheet of cookies to bake in the bakeoven whenever there is a fre in the main box as the stone is warm enough to bake cookies. We have been through 3 heating seasons with ours and absolutely love it

Bookmark   June 20, 2006 at 3:44PM
More Discussions
Metal Fireplace Mantel; Distance & Depth
Hi, This is my first posting. I apologize in advance...
hariot
something stinks in here!
I built a fire in out basement fireplace last week,...
congaman59
I need opinions on what to do with old fireplace
I have an old fireplace that needs a rehab badly. What...
jbryan21
Napoleon Fireplaces - Be Careful
I purchased an expensive Napoleon fireplace last summer,...
joc6820
How can I update this 60s facade?
The home I'm buying was built in 1959 and I don't think...
demeterchaos
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™