Approximate costs for installing a wood stove . . .

katy_bugMay 22, 2006

Hi everyone,

I am planning on doing some updating a house we are purchasing. I am putting together my budget (to keep my mind occupied) and we are installing a wood stove. There is a gas heater right now that is currently tied into the chimney. We will remove the heater and install a wood stove back into the chimney (there originally was a wood stove). What is a good estimate to use in my budget for purchase of a stove and the reinstallation? I like the Jotul stoves. Anyone purchase one lately?

Thanks in advance!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
katy_bug

BTW - I am in Georgia - outer Atlanta area

Bookmark   May 22, 2006 at 10:20AM
christopherh

You can figure on about $1000 for the installation. This is in addition to the cost of the stove. The total cost for our Regency was $2200.

Bookmark   May 30, 2006 at 8:36AM
onan

I just four days ago had a new woodstove/fireplace insert professionally installed in my living room. It cost me $1,200 in Maryland in the summertime-- $600 for the SS flex liner and cap and $600 labor which included sweeping the chimney, installing the liner, transporting the stove from the place where I brought it, cutting out the old damper frame and completely assembling and installing the unit. I thought 600 bucks was kind of pricey for the amount of work involved and thought maybe I was gouged a little, but it seems like the price was pretty much in line. I bought a Regency I3100L. Regency was having a summer special-- free blower ($300) plus a $50 mail-in rebate. I can't wait to try it out.

I'm certain that I could have done the installation myself, but there are safety and insurance concerns that would probably have kept me up at night. Having a professional installation done helps me sleep better.

Opinions?

Bookmark   August 4, 2006 at 12:45PM
jayh

Hmm, I had a Quadrafire 3100i nicely installed/delivered for $450 which I thought was very reasonable, otherwise, I'd considering doing it myself. The total installation came out to $3300 for the stove, the double wall chimney, the floor insert and the installation charge. This is in NJ

Jay

Bookmark   August 4, 2006 at 2:11PM
mcalo1_gardner

Hi,

I live in northern Rhode Island and paid 3K this year to heat our small colonial home with oil. I got a price on installing a wood stove and was wondering if it is fair:

Napoleon 1100CP freestanding stove $1364

Double wall black pipe: $290

Class A chimney extending from outside the 1st floor living room wall to 5' above the roof (2 stories) $1824

Corner hearth pad $306

Blower motor kit $217

Installation $1000

total of $5000

Thanks,
Mike

Bookmark   June 27, 2008 at 5:42PM
tuco

I just purchased a Jotul Fireplace Wood Insert. Here's the breakdown:

Wood Insert & Surround:...................$ 2,700.00
SS Liner Kit & Damper Plate:..............$ 800.00
Installation:.............................$ 650.00
Delivery:.................................$ 200.00

Total Cost:...............................$ 4,350.00

I know this sounds high but it is a sellers market. I shopped around at several different stores and all were in this ballpark. There was no room for negotiations.

Each store told me that the year-to-date sales were off the charts. They normally sell 1 - 3 stoves/inserts per month during June, July & August. The store I dealt with had sold 45 stoves/inserts as of June 24th. The salesman told me that he'll be sold out of stoves by September at the going rate.

The return on my investment will be less than 1 year based on the current price for oil and my yearly consumption.

BTW - I live in northeast Massachusetts.

Bookmark   June 28, 2008 at 7:06AM
More Discussions
Do I need a fireplace in Southern California
I am in the middle of renovations in my town home and...
LARemodel
Recommendations on Double Sided Direct Vent Gas fireplace!
Hello, I'm remodeling my home in California and want...
roadrunnerrita
Lennox Montebello See Through?
Anyone have some first hand experience with this unit?...
niteshadepromises
Does this old fireplace have options?
Hey everybody! My home was built in 1930 and originally...
Kristin Jennings
I need opinions on what to do with old fireplace
I have an old fireplace that needs a rehab badly. What...
jbryan21
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™