Vented Insert /Vent Free Logs ?

snicksterMay 12, 2009

We have a new home and have a large vented firebox insert.

I wanted the realism of a real rustic rock open fireplace but using an insert. The finished product looks awesome .

However, now I am looking at logs and wondering if I can put vent free logs safely in this vented box and close the damper.

I've googled searched quite a bit on this and see no reference to it. I have read that you can use vent free logs in regular masonry type fireplace.

Does any one have the answer to this ? I don't want to burn down the place !

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
haus_proud

There are logs that you can install in an existing fireplace and that will work without a vent. But they are controversial, because they are considered unsafe. Consumer Reports on their website has an explanation, and it is (or was) available free. You should check with your local municipality to find out if the codes allow such an installation. Many do not, especially in a sleeping room because of the threat of asfixiation.

The optimal gas logs system is direct vent, which is sealed and does not affect indoor air quality and is highly energy efficient. Such systems are essentially a firebox installed inside your existing firebox, and they are costly, at least $2K.

Bookmark   May 16, 2009 at 5:06PM
More Discussions
How can I update this 60s facade?
The home I'm buying was built in 1959 and I don't think...
demeterchaos
Converting wood fireplace to gas fireplace
Help, I'm overwhelmed. Any link to a good site that...
nosoccermom
Gas fireplace- fan or no fan?
Looking at a Mendota and a Heat N Glo full view single...
ryebread2111111
Jotul Kennebec
Well today is day two with my new Jotul fireplace insert...
turningpoint
1st timer needs pellet stove guidence
The wife and I just bought a new single floor 1800...
bksinaz
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™