Clay liner in old fireplace

fishbone01453May 23, 2009

I don t know why this is but hope someone can help with my problem. This is a old field stone fireplace with a clay liner . I want to put a 6" stainless steel liner in for my wood insert. I cannot bring this liner down all the way because one of the clay liner is of set from the other if I was to break one side I would have enough room but this is out of my reach about 4 to 5 feet from the botton up and there is nothing supporting this side of the liner from what I can see I was told it s best to have a liner all the way could there be another way. Thanks Mark

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
chimsweep

Most larger chimney service companies have special equipment to remove the tile stack. You will also need to insulate that stainless liner when you remove the stack. Some of the liner companies make an oval liner that might work for you with out breaking the tiles. What ever you do don't install the insert with out the stainless liner, it violates fire code, will probably not allow the insert to work correctly and may result in a chimney fire.

Bookmark   June 9, 2009 at 4:56PM
More Discussions
Jotul Kennebec
Well today is day two with my new Jotul fireplace insert...
turningpoint
replacing wood burning stove with wb fireplace, will it work?
Living room had a wood burning stove. There's a 6"...
petecon
Vermont stove
I have a resolute acclaim stove and the sealer around...
edtrac
Couple of questions about installing stone veneer
Little background - original lava rock fireplace was...
rosebay
Harman accentra insert wood pellet stove
I'm having a problem with my auger. It won't feed my...
Kyle22
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™