Turbotax Online or Buy the Software?

shannonplus2March 16, 2007

I am going to use Turbotax for the first time this year. Does it matter if I buy the software in a store, or just do it online? Is there an advantage to one or the other? BTW, I use a Mac; does that matter also? Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
2sweetpea

I have used TurboTax online for 4 years. Previously I used the software. I am not computer adept and never could sucessfully transfer data from one year's form to another using the software. It is simple with TT online - they keep your old tax forms and you can review them if necessary- though you always have your hard copy. All pertinent information from the past year transfers easily to the current year's form. All you need is internet access with a Mac or a PC.
Pam

Here is a link that might be useful: TurboTax Online

Bookmark   March 16, 2007 at 2:49PM
parrot_phan

Buying the software on a CD is cheaper than downloading it online, I believe.

The program is also available on a memory stick, but I think that form costs more than the CD.

I'm using TaxCut for the second year. When the program loads off a CD or memory stick, it checks your computer for previous years' versions of TaxCut. It then automatically imports numbers from those years into the newest one, and gives comparisons when you're done.

The TaxCut CD I have works on both PC and Mac platforms. I imagine the same is true with TurboTax CDs -- check the box.

Bookmark   March 16, 2007 at 4:51PM
telly2

I finished my taxes about 2 weeks ago, using Turbo Tax online for the 3rd year in a row. I couldn't be more pleased, and I agree with Pam about transferring last years info. Not sure if there's any advantage to buying the software...besides not having to go anywhere to buy it ! Also, I was halfway through with my return when I found out that I could get a discount on the fee if I signed on to Turbo Tax through my bank's website. So I signed out of the direct link to Turbo Tax, signed back in through my bank's website, & finished my return. Fee went from $35.00 to $22.00.

Bookmark   March 16, 2007 at 7:40PM
ron6519

I've used Turbo Tax since the 1995. Always bought the program locally on disc or downloaded it off the net. Never did my taxes online. Not really comfortable having all my financial info stored away in a remote location. Transferring from year to year has never been an issue. Leave it on the computer in your hard drive. The program finds it. I just tell them to fetch!
Ron

Bookmark   March 17, 2007 at 7:08PM
More Discussions
What is the fair ratio?
The living expense is paid between the couple (Husband...
azmom
Accounting Question
I was hoping there'd be an accounting forum her on...
andrelaplume2
Family Banking Concept, anyone heard of it?
I did a search here and did not see any similiar thread....
rjinga
Ontario - Canadian law question
Hi: I am hoping I can find someone on the forum who...
mistopheles52
Do I need to give a 1099-misc to the lady who cleans for me?
For the first time ever, I began having a lady clean...
sogofan
Sponsored Products
Software Niko Swing Arm Wall Lamp
Lamps Plus
Green 3528 Single Row LED Strip Light 120/m 10mm wide Foot
EnvironmentalLights.com
Nostalgia Electrics MSB-64 64 oz. Margarita & Slush Maker - 082677242044
$49.99 | Hayneedle
1" Lightblocker Vinyl Mini Blinds. Free Samples and Shipping!
$30.00 | Blinds.com
Software Pleated Charcoal Shade Wexler Table Lamp
Lamps Plus
36" Vine Design Copper Farmhouse Sink
Signature Hardware
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™