Should I leave opening or extend it?

dntutleyMay 4, 2013

I'm in the middle of an extensive 1st floor renovation and I have decided (after two months of construction already) to redo my fireplace. It's from the 70's and its a standard size fireplace but the brick extends out to cover entire wall. Here's my concern........ I'm simply covering the brick, not removing it. By doing so we will be mounting 2x4s to the brick then building the new wall there. My problem is that means the opening to my fireplace is now 4 inches further out. Do I take my current doors off and extend the fireplace 4 inches or leave the opening where it is, leaving the actual original fireplace intact. By not moving it, my estimations after all is said and done is there will be a 2-1/2 inches deep recessed opening. I would wrap the decorative tile around it and butting it up to the opening. I've never seen a recessed fireplace. Only thing that makes it an issue are the glass doors. If I took them off, it would be no big deal, but I don't like the look of an open fireplace.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Suzi AKA DesertDance Zone 9b

You need to check the fireplace codes. There is a certain amount of protection required. In our county it's 6" on all sides of non-flammable brick or tile.

Bookmark   May 15, 2013 at 2:48PM
More Discussions
How can I update this 60s facade?
The home I'm buying was built in 1959 and I don't think...
demeterchaos
Where to find high heat masonry paint for inside of fireplace
I'm having trouble finding a fire resistant or fire...
janeway452
Bodart & Gonay Optifire zero-clearance wood FP?
While browsing around shopping for a wood zero-clearance...
rosie
help please ! saw a picture, how can this be made?
Can anyone help me figure out these dimensions and...
abick2
Yikes! Fireplace smells terrible!
Hey everyone, I just bought a house built in the late...
prettybluehouse
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™