Daltile's Mongolian Spring Slate - Pics anyone?

Lola_NHJanuary 29, 2011

Hi!

I'm considering using this slate (2 small entryways and a 9 x 11 gathering room off the kitchen) but the samples in the showroom looked mostly dark, whereas the photos on their website seemed to have more of a mix of of lights and darks, my preference. If anyone has any comments or pics, I would love the feedback.

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gpetty5_carolina_rr_com

Just saw your post and while this is probably too late to help you, your query is coming up on Google so here goes.

I've installed a ton of this stuff in my home. Kitchen, three entries, hallway, and nook. It comes out of the box lighter than most pics, more light grayish, but as soon as you seal it (and you must MUST seal this stuff) it's gonna darken. I could send you pics but I used Aldon's SBS and it took it at least 3 shades darker. Makes the iron and browns show up well but the gray really darkens.

I like my floors a lot. Nice to walk on, nice to look at, very easy to clean although the sealer is more at play there than the slate.

Two tips.

One: You or your installer should use a medium set mortar, not thin set. I really like Laticrete's 220 but (in gray) but it can be hard to find. Much easier to level this stuff with a medium set than with thinset or one of the new enhanced mortars.

Two: Absolutely use a pre grout remover. I highly recommend Aldon's Easy Grout. I did a few tiles w/o it and took an hour to clean. Comes right off with Easy Grout ... put in on pretty thick, a bit more than the instructions allude to.

Bookmark   July 13, 2011 at 8:09PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ccintx

I would be interested in seeing any pictures you have to post of this slate. I'd like to see how dark it gets once sealed. What do you clean it with? Does it show dust easily? Is it cold in the winter? How does it hold up to pets and farm life? Please post pics if you have time.

Bookmark   July 16, 2011 at 4:26PM
More Discussions
trying to figure out vinyl vs wood laminate Help !
I am new to using anything other than real wood......
roksee
Anyone used the Dream Home laminate from LL?
My boyfriend is remodeling his kitchen and we are most...
kitchenlover
Brazilian Cherry with infloor heat, rug or no rug
We just got our in floor heat installed in the sunroom. Hoping...
sewwhatsnew
Carpet removal cost seems high, is it?
I got a quote for new carpet in a new-to-me house....
prettybluehouse
concret floors
can you put linoleum on bare concret floors
marykwiley
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™