fireplace remodel of lava rock

Marla24April 1, 2005

We want to change our 70's lava rock fireplace that is huge, floor to vaulted ceiling. I would like to cover it to make it smooth, it is very irregular unlike brick which other members have talked about covering and nailing the sheet rock to the brick. Has anyone ever removed the rock and just built a frame to attach the sheet rock to? Any other ideas? Would the wire and smooth stucco proceedure work better instead of taking all the rock down and building a frame? There is also a raised hearth out of the rock.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ventupete

I don't think it would be practical to try to cover the lava rock...you will end up with a surface that sticks way out in relation to the firebox. The best thing to do is remove the lava rock and go from there. It's hard to say how to rebuild it without knowing what's under the rock and how much of it will survive the removal.

Bookmark   April 19, 2005 at 7:32PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
krispie1

Hello Marla24,

Did you ever remodel your lava rock fireplace and if so, was it very difficult? We have the same type of fireplace and want to get rid of the lava and replace with stacked stone.

Bookmark   March 22, 2010 at 4:04PM
More Discussions
Power for Fan
So I have a very nice Martin sc36 gas fireplace that...
ACwannaBe
1st timer needs pellet stove guidence
The wife and I just bought a new single floor 1800...
bksinaz
Help me decide on a fireplace unit for new build
We are doing a gas Heatilator unit. Is there much difference...
brodyt
Vermont stove
I have a resolute acclaim stove and the sealer around...
edtrac
direct vent gas fireplace
Hello, I just bought a house and there is a Monessen...
shahgee84
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™