Question about cc solicitations

ericasjMarch 2, 2005

We've lived in our house 10 years, and the seller was elderly at the time. There's a good possibility she isn't even still living.

However, over the past few months we've started to get a lot of credit card offers addressed to her here. In these days of identify theft, it makes me kind of uneasy. Why is this happening all of a sudden? I looked up how to get off mailing lists, but this is what I found.

The Direct Marketing Assn. says you can only get yourself off their lists, not someone else. They require a signature, and I'm not going to sign her name! Or, you can do it online but they charge $5 and require a credit card. Obvoiusly the names won't match.

There is a number to call for getting off credit card mailing lists, but it's automated and they require a social security number. So I wouldn't be able to explain the problem.

Any other ideas? I can't bear the thought of calling back about each and every offer to get off the lists piecemeal.

Erica

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
spewey

Just write "deceased" on the envelopes and stick them back in the mailbox. The Post Office will return them to the senders (unless she filed a change of address from her deathbed, knowing where she would end up.)

Bookmark   March 2, 2005 at 12:10PM
cowboyind

I think I'd just throw them out. On the off chance that identity theft is occurring, giving out a piece of information such as "deceased" could just make it easier for the perpetrators to abuse this person's identity.

Most likely what has happened is that some company has bought a mailing list that has not been regularly updated, and this old name and address is still on it.

Bookmark   March 3, 2005 at 11:16PM
PeaBee4

I may be wrong, but I don't think that the Post Office returns anything except first class mail to the sender. Those CC solicitations are bulk junk mail. Writing 'deceased' on it won't help. Even if it was returned, I doubt if they would take the trouble or time to delete the name from the mailing lists.

Bookmark   March 8, 2005 at 9:05AM
More Discussions
help!!! advice needed asap for 2nd mortgage
I need to take out $30,000 in equity for desperately...
gigigirl1
Home Loan advise? Remodel and Addition
I am looking into a renovation/remodel of my current...
allieundercover
Buying a new house financial questions?
This seems silly, but I don't have anyone else to talk...
Butternut
Accounting Question
I was hoping there'd be an accounting forum her on...
andrelaplume2
Refinance with Bank of America taking F-O-R-E-V-E-R
We started the process for our refinance April 25th...
wickedgrace
Sponsored Products
Apex by Marcy Tricep Rope - TCR24
$29.99 | Hayneedle
Reelcraft Heavy Duty Air/Water 1/2 in. Hose Reel - 50 ft. - 7850 OLP
$329.99 | Hayneedle
Alfi AB101 Small White Wall Mounted Ceramic Bathroom Sink Basin - AB101
$224.00 | Hayneedle
James Martin Furniture Continental 60 in. Single Vanity - Burnished Cherry Multi
Hayneedle
ACF by Nameeks ACF CP03-GO City Play 22-in. Single Bathroom Vanity Set - Gray Oa
Hayneedle
Design House 512624 Cameron 6-Light Chandelier - Oil Rubbed Bronze Finish - 5126
$262.99 | Hayneedle
Wedgwood Jasper Conran Bone China Plain Tea Saucer - White - Set of 4 - WEDG634
$60.00 | Hayneedle
POLYWOOD Chairs Bayline Patio Bar Side Chair in Textured Bronze/White Sling
Home Depot
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™