Where to buy Amish furniture?

zazutooJanuary 26, 2011

I was shopping at my local furniture store and found a lovely chest of drawers and night table made by Amish woodworkers in Ohio. The salesman gave me a quote of around $2400 w/ the benefit of a current sale. I want to see if I can do better price wise, or whether the convenience of my hometown furniture store is worth some extra $$.

Has anyone bought directly from the furniture maker?

Thanks for the help,

Suzanne

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
beaniebakes

I live in a rural community in upstate NY with a large Amish population, many of whom moved here from Ashland, Ohio. Several Amish men make furniture and I've purchased a rocking chair (Amish style -- bent hickory and oak), foot rest, and a few other items. A few of the furniture makers will make any style of furniture. I've been in a number of workshops and have seen all different types of furniture being made from photographs that customers bring in.

If you live near an Amish community, just drive around looking for their road signs--always white with black lettering advertising their wares, from furniture to harness making, lumber, baked goods, quilts, etc. If you stop to buy baked goods (always a good idea, lol), ask if they know a furniture maker. Trust me, if anyone in their community makes furniture, they will know about it. By the way, the road signs usually say "No Sunday Sales" and the signs should be respected. Don't drive around on a Sunday expecting to talk business.

Good luck.

Bookmark   January 29, 2011 at 11:24AM
More Discussions
Furniture help
Hello My boyfriend and I just moved in and we really...
Penny Dimitrakaki
looking for Marge Carson Used Pieces
Hi there, I am looking to buy used Marge Carson Furniture. Kindly, Barb...
iluvcarats
Lexington chez michelle Bedroom Set - 7 piece
Hi, i am purchasing a used 7-piece Lexington chez michelle...
kathietang
Duane Collie - Question, Please!
Our H & M Kodiak sofa, love seat, chair & ottoman...
cindylouhoo
casco bay furniture from someone who didnt just join
Hi im looking for reviews on casco bay furniture from...
armstrongarland
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™