Help - Heat N Glo

jai-lynnApril 27, 2009

Any sage advice appreciated - purchased a 6000GL (direct-ven) for a new addition. Master electrician, plumber and contractor installed the unit.

A multifunction wall switch/control box was installed as thermostat/control. Initially, the wall switch was connected via a wire that was not recessed in the wall and it all worked fine. The electrician then ran the wire behind the wall and mounted the switch. The control no longer worked.

The contractor thought it was a problem with the control box and we brought it back to the dealer. The dealer said the control box had been "fried out" by improper installation and said they would cover a replacement, but suggested we hire them to install it correctly. The tech came out from the dealer and could not get it working, later reported that the 2nd control box had been fried out. Dealer blamed the contractor and said the entire unit needed to be reinstalled (at a cost of $800 - $1000).

The contractor's position is he installed it correctly.

So, any ideas on what is causing the problem? Bad unit, bad install, other???? Thanks so much.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jai-lynn

texaschimneypro,

Thanks so much for your response. I thought I had this posting set up so that I would receive an email when I got a response - I didn't get an email so thought that I had no responses (just saw this today).

My end result - The manager of the fireplace store was not helpful at all. The owner of the store was and sent out a more knowledgable tech who installed the 2nd puportedly fried unit and it worked fine (but the wall switch didn't).

There was also a short in the 3 wire cable to the wall switch, which the electrician replaced. So I'm not sure where the problem originated, but we now have a working fireplace.

Bookmark   May 8, 2009 at 4:16PM
prasad_2009

I have a problem with my Heat-n-Glo unit model # 6000GDVFL.
It worked for a few years alright. All of a sudden, we see a blast of cold air coming in when ever it is windy outside and this summer time We see warm air blowing in. Service people were telling that they don't know the reason. We will be only wasting money to bring in a person for checking. We would appreciate to hear any suggestions to solve this problem.

Bookmark   May 22, 2009 at 11:25AM
chimsweep

Your H-n-G unit is a direct vent model so it should be a closed system. Since it worked for a while we can assume it was installed correctly. If the air is coming into the cavity around the fireplace then look for gaps in the sheathing or siding, wall or roof penetration or the underside. There can also be a failure in the pipe or firebox which would allow air penetration. To chase this problem down you will probably need a smoke test candle and a bore scope.

Bookmark   June 9, 2009 at 5:12PM
More Discussions
Do I need a fireplace in Southern California
I am in the middle of renovations in my town home and...
LARemodel
help please ! saw a picture, how can this be made?
Can anyone help me figure out these dimensions and...
abick2
something stinks in here!
I built a fire in out basement fireplace last week,...
congaman59
Xtrordinair Fireplace
We were directed to a local shop selling this product....
Lutha
Gas Fireplace question
We recently bought a second home, and it has a gas...
grapefruit1_ar
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™