Fireplace and Cement Board (picture included)

jburr827April 10, 2009

Hey Everyone,

I am trying to install a new gas fireplace and could use a little help. My specific question is: How does the cement board connect to the fireplace itself?

As you can see in the image, it is clear the cement board has to pass over the nailing strips and butt up against the protruding trim (or at least the tile does anyway). On the sides, can I just put a screw through the cement board and nailing strip into the metal stud? I was told that you should not directly connect the cement board to the fireplace due to the contracting of the unit when it heats up (could eventually crack the tile), but I don't see a way to avoid that here.

Also, how would you handle the top of the fireplace where the stud is set back away from the fireplace itself and the nailing strip is much smaller?

Thank you.

John

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ventupete

I would add metal studs close in on each side and across the top. Screw the cement board to these additional studs and then let the cement board edges overlap the fireplace flanges without connecting to them. Since the overlap wouldn't be more than a few inches it'll be rigid enough to tile over. There are a few ways to piece in the metal studs. If you need help with that let me know.

Bookmark   April 23, 2009 at 2:52PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jburr827

ventupete,

We did exactly as you suggested and it worked out perfectly. I often have the confidence to do it, but I just don't know how to do it!

I love this forum and greatly appreciate all of the help I have received from you and others.

Thanks again.

John

Bookmark   June 9, 2009 at 10:23AM
More Discussions
1st timer needs pellet stove guidence
The wife and I just bought a new single floor 1800...
bksinaz
freestanding gas stove flaming out- vent problem?
I have a free standing direct vented gas stove vented...
pooper
direct vent gas fireplace
Hello, I just bought a house and there is a Monessen...
shahgee84
Can woodstove clog a chimney in a month??
We had a Quadrafire 5100 woodburning stove insert installed...
kitasei
Xtrordinair Fireplace
We were directed to a local shop selling this product....
Lutha
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™