Horizontal vent termination limit?

loafer80April 3, 2012

We are thinking of installing a double sided direct vent fireplace on the main floor, dividing the dining room and living room. The fireplace will be approximately 10ft away from an exterior wall.

Initially, I have always think of having the vent run vertical ~7ft to ceiling joist space and then horizontal 10ft to exterior wall. Upon visiting to a fireplace store, the person there raised a question for running horizontal 10ft may not be doable. But after reading a couple installation manuals, the 10ft horiz. run seems possible the those brands.

Today, when my wife was talking to her coworker, she also raised the questions for the horizontal run. The co-worker has gone thru a few renovation herself, but no expect.

I'm still in the planning stage for layout, just want to ask some expert here to confirm that the fireplace location can be vented horizontally 10ft with 7ft vertical run. I would much prefer this route and not having the vent vertically all through my second floor to the roof.

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
MGS90

You may have a problem trying to run that far horizontally depending on how much space you have in your joists. For every foot of horizontal venting there must be .25" rise. So over 10' you will need 2.5" rise, plus you will need to maintain 2" clearance from the top of the pipe to the underside of anything combustible, and 1" clearance from the underside of the pipe. If it's a see through unit it likely vents on 5 and 8 venting, which is 8" O.D., making up for a total space needed of 13.5". You might be able to accommodate this by building in a bulkhead to conceal the venting and to ensure proper vent clearances.

Bookmark   April 25, 2012 at 11:09PM
More Discussions
Linear Fireplace
Can I put a 60 inch linear fireplace in place of this...
kjez2010
Harman accentra insert wood pellet stove
I'm having a problem with my auger. It won't feed my...
Kyle22
Xtrordinair Fireplace
We were directed to a local shop selling this product....
Lutha
Can woodstove clog a chimney in a month??
We had a Quadrafire 5100 woodburning stove insert installed...
kitasei
Fireplace Options?
Looking to put a wood burning fireplace in our new...
rmverb
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™