Anyone have a cast stone fireplace surround?

ksd51April 18, 2009

I am redoing my fireplace and am considering the surround (mantel, legs, and hearth) in cast stone. I am not quite sure how I feel about it. It is a tuscan style, not ornate at all, and seems more contempory than wood. It will go in my family room. I like the style, but am not sure about the finish. It is a rough finish and is supposed to resemble stone, similar to travertine. If I get it , I am planning to go with a light shade, but wonder if it looks unfinished. I know it is supposed to look that way, but I am not quite sure how I feel about it. Any comments? Anyone familiar with this type of fireplace? Would love to hear from any of you who have a cast stone fireplace. Do you like it? How do you feel about the finish? Are there any maintance issue with the finish? I understand that they are very sturdy. Thanks in advance for your comments.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
remodelzombie

I'm not sure what you mean when you say cast stone. I've looked at a couple of different stone fireplaces. Most of them aren't contemporary looking. I'm going with a more tuscan design in my home and I've decided on Terrathena.

Check out Le Chateau on their custom fireplace versions.
Terrathena.com
Also check out Missionstone.com

Here is a link that might be useful: Terrathena Stone Fireplace Surrounds

Bookmark   April 21, 2009 at 5:52PM
More Discussions
Can woodstove clog a chimney in a month??
We had a Quadrafire 5100 woodburning stove insert installed...
kitasei
See-through fireplace
Does anyone have any experience with the Lennox Montebello...
aswansonid
something stinks in here!
I built a fire in out basement fireplace last week,...
congaman59
Fireplace Placement Please Help
We are trying to make a decision to center our fireplace...
shancap
Xtrordinair Fireplace
We were directed to a local shop selling this product....
Lutha
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™