What Is This Fireplace Missing?

azroyalApril 7, 2009

We just bought a fixer-up house with a fireplace (I think it is a zero clearance) that is missing a cover or insert to cover the open areas at the top and bottom of the fireplace box. I've included photos that I hope show what I mean. The first is the overall fireplace, followed by a close-up of the top and bottom. The top open area above the box has some flue opening control rods and the bottom open area below the box just seems to be empty. Any help is appreciated as to what the missing pieces are and where they can be purchased.

And yes, it is ugly. we plan to replace the painted faux stone with something more modern.

Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Converting wood fireplace to gas fireplace
Help, I'm overwhelmed. Any link to a good site that...
Fireplace Placement Please Help
We are trying to make a decision to center our fireplace...
Can woodstove clog a chimney in a month??
We had a Quadrafire 5100 woodburning stove insert installed...
How can I update this 60s facade?
The home I'm buying was built in 1959 and I don't think...
Where to find high heat masonry paint for inside of fireplace
I'm having trouble finding a fire resistant or fire...
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™