Changing look of brick fireplace

annalchyuMarch 4, 2008

Dear fellow remodelers:

I have a home built in 1940 with a brick fireplace in the living room. I like my beautiful original wood mantel, but the brick surround is of that 70s-looking, plain red brick with darker grout lines. I want it to look more like the pretty mottled red brick with white spots. I wish I could upload a picture and I will if I can figure it out.

Does anyone know what product/technique can achieve this look?



Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

I have seen on the web brick panels that might work for you. The panels are real brick, but a fraction of an inch thick so you can apply them in places where regular brick is not suitable. How to apply them on a brick surround might be a challenge. It might be best to hire a contractor with some experience to do that.

I think if you do a Google search with a term like brick panel, you'll sources for such a product. I'm pretty sure they come in a variety of styles.

Good luck.

    Bookmark   March 5, 2008 at 9:22AM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Bodart & Gonay Optifire zero-clearance wood FP?
While browsing around shopping for a wood zero-clearance...
Travertine tile reface on fireplace surround & hearth
Help - We have torn down the old fake stone facing...
Yikes! Fireplace smells terrible!
Hey everyone, I just bought a house built in the late...
Recommendations on Double Sided Direct Vent Gas fireplace!
Hello, I'm remodeling my home in California and want...
Installing New Granite Tile Over Old Granite Fireplace Surround?
Hi! On my fireplace surround do I have to replace the...
Sponsored Products
Outdoor Lighting. Sea Turtle Lamp Finial
$14.99 | Home Depot
36" x 22" Black Granite Apron Stone Kitchen Sink - NORWAY SHADOW
Poseidon 20300 Outdoor Wall Sconce
Chloe Armchair Set of 2 in Gray
$199.00 | LexMod
Croquet Dining Arm Chair with Cushion, Patio Furniture
$905.00 | FRONTGATE
Edgewood Deluxe Ceiling Fan by Fanimation Fans
$239.00 | Lumens
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™