Please need advice tonight on refi

peegeeFebruary 2, 2009

I really need advice, and think I posted this in the wrong forum aliitle earlier, wasting precious time!!!!!My bank is allowing a lock-in on the same day the rate goes up by making an online application. I just started this process late last week, and already missed the lowest rate; today it went up again, and I need to make a decision on whether to pay one, two, or no points. History: I've been in my home for 6 3/4 years; current rate is 6.125 fixed 30 years on 1st and second, which is a complicated subsidized soft second that I really want to get out from under, as my payments in just a few years will be nearly $100. more per month than what I'm paying. Since I don't make a lot and do not receive cost of living increases, I'm concerned about retaining this mortgage which will become increasingly unaffordable as taxes rise. HOWEVER, it appears that I will have to payback i.e. roll into my refi the approx. $5,300. that I received in reduced payments on the soft 2nd since the inception of the loan. Then if I add points to the cost of the fees, I will be paying nearly what I took out for the orig. loan - despite making extra payments to principle for 2 or so years. I am single, mid-fifties, but didn't get into the full-time workforce until late in life. The pressure of having to make a decision tonight is driving me crazy, as I was expecting to have another day or two to spend researching...

Current rates 30 year (same as 20) 5% no points; 4.75% one point; 4.5% two points. My preference would be to move closer to one of my children, but without winning a lottery, unlikely in the next 4-5 years or maybe ever!

Thank you thank you!!!! Penny G.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dave_donhoff

Hi Penny,
Got you answered over here;
http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/realestate/msg0220495830714.html?2

Here is a link that might be useful: Penny's answer (patience & diligence ;~)

Bookmark   February 2, 2009 at 10:23PM
More Discussions
How would I sell fur coats?
Let me say, first, please donÂt bash me for having...
linnea56
Here's a question for those who pay with cash
It happens occasionally, I'll be in a checkout line...
SnidelyWhiplash
Spending Breakdown
My wife and I have tracked our spending over the last...
rjexit5
Programmable Thermostat proof
Does anyone have hard copy proof of the savings that...
rjexit5
Evicting
Don't know where to post this specifically. The thing...
Curt D'Onofrio
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™