Help! Fridge leaked and new qtrsawn white oak floors are cupped

bellacucinaMarch 6, 2011

This past Friday, our GC hooked up our new fridge and apparently the supplied connection failed and water for the icemaker leaked onto the new hard wood floor. He immediately shut off the water and replaced the connection. Later that night I noticed some cupping and dampness where the planks join together, in front of the fridge (about a 2x3' area, not counting beneath the fridge, which we didn't pull out). GC said that the floor guy will be able to take care of this ---he is scheduled to do the last 2 coats of poly this coming Friday/Saturday.

I really wanted wood in our kitchen, much to my DH's dismay (he wanted tile). We have Bruce elsewhere in the house where there's no really potential for water leakage --- so I hope these questions aren't too naive, but I wanted to get an idea here of what to expect as far as right "fix" before the GC comes tomorrow--- will it be sufficient to sand and restain and repoly that area? Can that be done? What about the moisture on the subfloor beneath that wet area?

Is pulling up the planks an option? If the planks aren't pulled up, is there danger of mildew/mold?

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bellacucina

oops! meant to post this in "flooring"... sorry!

Bookmark   March 6, 2011 at 8:14PM
More Discussions
Fireplace Options?
Looking to put a wood burning fireplace in our new...
rmverb
Gas fireplace- fan or no fan?
Looking at a Mendota and a Heat N Glo full view single...
ryebread2111111
freestanding gas stove flaming out- vent problem?
I have a free standing direct vented gas stove vented...
pooper
Does this old fireplace have options?
Hey everybody! My home was built in 1930 and originally...
Kristin Jennings
replacing wood burning stove with wb fireplace, will it work?
Living room had a wood burning stove. There's a 6"...
petecon
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™