Vacuum cleaner for hardwood floors

NCnewbie2012January 30, 2013

Have moved into a new home with way more hardwood flooring than my previous residence. In the past it was just in my kitchen, and a Swiffer Vac met my needs just fine. With more floor to maintain now, I suspect I need to go suction only (no beater bar). Any suggestions? Someone has suggested a Miele canister, but these certainly can get pricey. I don't mind investing in something that's going to get the job done and give me years of dependable service. But having many other expenses now, I can't break the bank on this purchase.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ae2ga

I have hardwood floors and a dog that sheds like crazy twice a year. After breaking many vacs with clogged dog hair, I purchased a shop vac from Lowes - the little one. This is not a fancy vacuum, but I spent about$40 on the vac and attachments. There are no bags, a paperish filter attaches with w rubber band kind of thing. This thing sucks up dust and hair like a champ. When I first bought it eight years ago, I thought I'd replace it when I had more money; instead, I've kept it, and it still works with no problems.

If you're looking for a vacuum that works well for wood floors and won't break the bank, I can highly recommend this vacuum.

Bookmark   February 1, 2013 at 6:00PM
Wolfpackmom

ae2ga - can you share the make, model, etc of the shop vac, please. I need something desperately...I have 3 shedders!

Bookmark   February 1, 2013 at 8:44PM
ae2ga

The vacuum is a Lowes Wet Dry Shop Vac 2.5 gallon. One side vacuums; the other is a blower (great for drying the beast after a bath (but I clean the filter first which means dumping the canister and shaking out the filter - takes about two minutes. When I bought it, the price was $25 and attachments were $5 a piece. This is really super basic - what one would use in the garage for cleaning, but it works great for my wood floors, and the price was perfect. I know Lowe's still carries them because my youngest daughter bought one for her dorm room about six months ago. There are larger sizes, but I got the smallest one.

Bookmark   February 2, 2013 at 9:24AM
Wolfpackmom

thank you for the info ae2ga!

Bookmark   February 2, 2013 at 12:29PM
NCnewbie2012

Finally went for a Miele canister,suction only. The model is called "Quartz." Using it for the first time today, and am very pleased with. More than I wanted to spend, but I like the performance so far.

Bookmark   February 3, 2013 at 5:11PM
Wolfpackmom

NCnewbie2012 - WOW! I bet you will love it. That is way out of my budget but would love to happen something like that.

Bookmark   February 3, 2013 at 6:26PM
More Discussions
Tigerwood Flooring - if you have it would you do it again
We are considering putting in Tigerwood flooring. We...
snowcamp
Indusparquet...opinions, please
After a frustrating on-off search for over two year,...
joyintx
bamboo floor fumes--anyone else have this problem??
Hi, has anyone installed a bamboo floor and had trouble...
nikwaters
What is the size of your longest hardwood floor boards?
What ranges are the sizes of your hard wood floor boards...
tlbean2004
Somerset Country Hardwood Made in China
After ordering 1650 sf of Somerset Country hardwood,...
blondie859111
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™