Venting a wood burning insert, sharing chimney w/boiler

mikec5March 25, 2008

I'm beginning to research the purchase of a wood burning insert and am finding lots of good info here. My 1975 vintage colonial has an oil fired boiler which shares a 'split chimney' with the fireplace. It looks like one chimney from the outside with two (clay tile) outlets on top (but flues separate all the way up). The fireplace damper opening is about 26 x 6 inches and tapers to the (10 x 10 clay tile) flue which is offset to the right side. I assume the offset would be no problem if using a flex pipe. I noticed a few posts suggesting a stainless liner might not be necessary but then I imagine it would be difficult to seal up the remainder of the damper opening. I'm pretty handy and do intend to do this myself. As for heat distribution, has anyone had any luck using the central air on fan-only mode? Unfortunately, my fireplace room is not centrally located but it does have the air return to 1st floor AC. If I get the room warmed up with the insert then move the warm air via the AC ducts I would think this would help keep the oil burner off?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
old-vt-crafter

First of all, all stoves today require a 6" chimney. So you will have to put a 6" liner all the way up in your existing chimney and possibly insulate it with Kaowool. And then place a rain cap on it. You cannot just vent a stove into the existing chimney. NO code will allow that.

Now you say you're doing it yourself. How much experience do you have in this area? I ask simply because you must notify your homeowner's insurance company that you now have a stove. And you will be asked who installed it. If you installed it they may require an inspection by a certified person to ensure the job was done correctly. If you don't tell them about the stove and there's a fire or other situation due to an incorrectly installed stove, they could deny the claim.
Have it done by a pro.

Bookmark   March 26, 2008 at 7:00AM
mikec5

Thanks, I will check with the insurance co. and with my local building dept. to see what the implications are.

Bookmark   March 26, 2008 at 7:46AM
lilkona

My Jotul insert requires only 6' of liner then it can be vented into the prexisting chimney. The liner came with the stove. However not lining the entire chimney makes cleaning a pain as you have to pull out the insert and the short length of liner every spring to clean the chimney. Also the chimney will stay warmer with liners and a cap.

Here if you are installing into a prexisting fireplace you just need an inspection from the fire dept. The important thing is that the new appliance meet the manufactuters clearance tolerances.

Bookmark   March 28, 2008 at 12:52PM
berlin

"You cannot just vent a stove into the existing chimney. NO code will allow that."

not true.

Bookmark   March 29, 2008 at 1:20AM
old-vt-crafter

What code will allow that?

Bookmark   March 29, 2008 at 6:39AM
More Discussions
Does this old fireplace have options?
Hey everybody! My home was built in 1930 and originally...
Kristin Jennings
Travertine tile reface on fireplace surround & hearth
Help - We have torn down the old fake stone facing...
pennymw
help please ! saw a picture, how can this be made?
Can anyone help me figure out these dimensions and...
abick2
Fireplace Placement Please Help
We are trying to make a decision to center our fireplace...
shancap
Fireglass getting discolored
I have a vented fireplace that can burn wood or gas....
anjn
Sponsored Products
Zephyr 30W in. Tempest I Wall Mounted Range Hood - AK7000BS
$899.00 | Hayneedle
36" Brisote Series Stainless Steel Island Range Hood - 600 CFM
Signature Hardware
Flue Cover for Compass Series Wall-Mount Range Hoods
Signature Hardware
Sidewalk Gray Round Patio Table & Chair Cover
$29.99 | zulily
Flue Extension for Caselle Series Island Range Hoods
Signature Hardware