Has anyone put an outdoor fireplace in a gazebo?

caribbeancupcakeMarch 22, 2009

Hi,

I am purchasing a gazebo and buying it from a gazebo manufacturer. To build it here on St John would be

cost prohibitive due to labor costs. We can't afford concrete walls which is currently $1250/yd formed and poured.This is the only solution I can come up with to build an outdoor livingroom. I want to put a fireplace on the back wall of a rectangle or oval gazebo. The roof frame is wood but we will be putting a metal roof on our gazebo to match the house roof. The floor structure will be concrete with a tile surface.Has anyone experience with this type of project?

Thanks in advance

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ventupete

It sounds feasible but there are a few things you should check out. First, depending on the type of fireplace you want (wood burning masonry, gas with metal flue, etc.) the concrete floor you mention may have to be thicker and/or have footings under the fireplace. Second, the chimney has to extend a certain height above the adjacent roof (per local code) for safety reasons. Third, since it's a prefabricated gazebo, penetrating the roof could cause structural issues for the roof, unless the fireplace is situated so that it's outside the perimeter of the gazebo. Just some thoughts...

Bookmark   March 23, 2009 at 5:11PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
garyg

Sounds like a gazebo fire waiting to happen, especially if its a wood fireplace.

Bookmark   March 23, 2009 at 9:25PM
More Discussions
Does this old fireplace have options?
Hey everybody! My home was built in 1930 and originally...
Kristin Jennings
Xtrordinair Fireplace
We were directed to a local shop selling this product....
Lutha
something stinks in here!
I built a fire in out basement fireplace last week,...
congaman59
HeatnGlo Mezzo 48 or Napolean Linear LHD50
Please help guide me! We are building a new home and...
supcar1
Lennox Montebello See Through?
Anyone have some first hand experience with this unit?...
niteshadepromises
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™