Redirecting heat from a ventless gas fireplace?

mrs_mackMarch 28, 2010

We recently installed a Fire Ribbon ventfree gas fireplace insert http://www.sparkfires.com/products/vent-free-3ft . We also have our TV mounted on the wall above our fireplace, but we have huge concerns about the heat coming up from the fireplace. The TV is very hot to the touch.

We are exploring options to redirect the heat so that it doesn't roll up the wall directly to the TV (we don't have a mantel to disrupt the hot air flow).

I don't think we can add a fan to the fireplace insert itself as we don't have any electric running to the fireplace and we don't have access to get behind the fireplace wall as it's stone veneer from floor to ceiling.

And, we'd like to try to avoid having to add any sort of a mantel to the wall, if at all possible. Is there some sort of a fan that could be placed behind the TV to push the hot air back down into the room?

Or maybe there are other options that we haven't thought of? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
alleycatdesign

Your concerns are valid. My husband won't allow a TV to be mounted over the fireplace because of the heat. You should contact the best installer in your area for suggestions. I don't think there is a simple as in inexpensive fix to this problem. Some fireplaces come with a fan to push the air into the room so it won't travel up the wall. Maybe the electrical can be added from the other side of the wall. Good luck.

Bookmark   March 29, 2010 at 8:35AM
More Discussions
Can woodstove clog a chimney in a month??
We had a Quadrafire 5100 woodburning stove insert installed...
kitasei
Does this old fireplace have options?
Hey everybody! My home was built in 1930 and originally...
Kristin Jennings
1st timer needs pellet stove guidence
The wife and I just bought a new single floor 1800...
bksinaz
Couple of questions about installing stone veneer
Little background - original lava rock fireplace was...
rosebay
How can I update this 60s facade?
The home I'm buying was built in 1959 and I don't think...
demeterchaos
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™