insurance problems

carolssisFebruary 28, 2004

Our homeowners insurance just sent us a letter telling us they were not going to renew our insurance. The reason is that they say they sent a letter to request information and didn't recieve a reply. They sent this letter after receiving the information. My question is, how long do you have to mail them a list of items stolen in a burglary? We reported the burglary by phone, and took 3 months to make up a list of stolen items. Now they are saying they didn't receive it, which they did. Is this legal?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cowboyind

It probably varies from state to state. Call your state's insurance commission, or if you can't find the name or number of that office, call the Attorney General's office for help or a referral to the correct agency.

Bookmark   February 29, 2004 at 12:52PM
steve_o

Can you prove they received the information (registered receipt, etc.)? If so, take that info to them. Or to the Attorney General. Take it to the AG, though, and you'll probably be looking for a different insurance company anyway. But try to resolve it first. It will hurt to look for insurance with someone else if you're listed as having been declined.

Bookmark   March 6, 2004 at 8:21AM
carolssis

Thanks for the advice. We've finally gotten the problems solved. The claims rep. stated she couldn't accept my handwritten list of stolen items, and sent it back. She wanted it formatted to her form, which I couldn't use. Reason, it's from Excel, which I don't have. Underwriting department has received our letter. We were forced to contact a manager. Seems our claims rep. didn't want to convert our list herself, and was trying to make me do her work. And it's her fault that other letter wasn't sent to underwriting department. We will probably find another insurance company anyway. This kind of treatment from them is totally unacceptable to us. First, last, and only claim!

Bookmark   March 6, 2004 at 9:00AM
More Discussions
Buying a new house financial questions?
This seems silly, but I don't have anyone else to talk...
Butternut
Here's a question for those who pay with cash
It happens occasionally, I'll be in a checkout line...
SnidelyWhiplash
Is a lien only for money owed or.........
My Home Owners Association has rules of course and...
emma
Family Banking Concept, anyone heard of it?
I did a search here and did not see any similiar thread....
rjinga
How would I sell fur coats?
Let me say, first, please donÂt bash me for having...
linnea56
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™