Wood Burning Stove - Home Owners Insurance?

mikec5March 26, 2008

Those of you who did tell your HOI company that you added a wood burning stove or insert, what did they require/say? Did your rate go up?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
old-vt-crafter

When we installed our stove all they required was a certification that it was done to code. And the installer supplied that. They want to be sure the stove is installed correctly. My agent said that DIY installations always raise red flags. Simply because most DIYers take a shortcut and don't do a complate job like proper chimneys. A vast majority of house fires caused by stoves are DIY installations. Or they aren't aware that the chimney must be cleaned on a yearly basis, because nobody told them. That's what the installer does. He tells you how to maintain a safe heating appliance.
But the rate didn't increase at all.

Bookmark   March 27, 2008 at 8:35AM
chelone

Our rate didn't go up, either. We installed our stove ourselves and obtained a signed inspection from our building inspector/code enforcement guy. We sent a copy of the stove's specs. and the inspection form to the insurance company.

There have been more than a couple of woodstove related fires and some deaths because of improper installation. Very tragic and unnecessary; I would ALWAYS tell the insurance company there was a woodstove in the house... if you don't and something happens you may well negate the terms of your policy's coverage.

Bookmark   March 27, 2008 at 3:19PM
jayh

Nope, I called up my homeowner's insurance (allstate) on a freestanding wood stove and the lady said they treat it like a spaceheater... I have a gas fired boiler but it's off and I only use that when I'm on vacation.

Jay

Bookmark   April 1, 2008 at 3:00PM
More Discussions
Can woodstove clog a chimney in a month??
We had a Quadrafire 5100 woodburning stove insert installed...
kitasei
How can I update this 60s facade?
The home I'm buying was built in 1959 and I don't think...
demeterchaos
Do I need a fireplace in Southern California
I am in the middle of renovations in my town home and...
LARemodel
cleaning soot off rock fireplace surround
My rock wall fireplace looks dingy from 50 years of...
pompeii
Does this old fireplace have options?
Hey everybody! My home was built in 1930 and originally...
Kristin Jennings
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™