Woodstove Operation question

jgarzasrMarch 21, 2008

We just finished our new home, and now have started heating w/ a wood stove. It is a Hearthstone Tribute. I have never ran a woodstove before - so I want to make sure I am running this correctly.

When I installed the stove - I also installed a temp gauge. So far I have been keeping the stove running so that the temp stays in the orange - which says normal operation. However - for me to keep the stove at this temp - I have to keep the air lever all the way open. Is this normal? I thought I would have to adjust the air lever to keep the fire burning correctly - but so far I keep it wide open.

I thought maybe this has to do with the house being super insulated?

Any info would be appreciated. Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
old-vt-crafter

The temp at the surface of the stove should be around 500 to 600 degrees. If you need to have the damper open to maintain that, then you may need to open a window a bit or ask the stove shop about an outside air intake for the stove.

But what are you burning? Pine? Oak? Maple? Birch? How seasoned is it? Does it "sizzle" when you open the door of the stove?

Bookmark   March 22, 2008 at 7:48AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
turnage

Also keep in mind that outside temperature has a lot to do with chimney performance and draft. When the temps get up in the 50's and above, my stove tends to get "lazy" and I have to keep the air vent open a lot more than when the temps are in the 30's.

This may be totally irrelevant to your post, but I'm not sure what your weather is like right now.

Bookmark   March 23, 2008 at 6:53AM
More Discussions
Feedback on MORSO 5660 unit with blower
Hi all- we're replacing our wood insert to get a sleeker...
thehype
Replacing fake logs with glass crystals
I've got a majestic fireplace (direct vent, natural...
sshaw66
How can I update this 60s facade?
The home I'm buying was built in 1959 and I don't think...
demeterchaos
HeatnGlo Mezzo 48 or Napolean Linear LHD50
Please help guide me! We are building a new home and...
supcar1
Double-Sided Firebox Remodel Possible?
We recently purchased a house that has a double sided...
lmll4
Sponsored Products
Brooke Electric Stove Fireplace
Home Decorators Collection
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™