Leather furniture and sun

Karen789January 4, 2013

I am in the process of purchasing living room furniture. Our room has southern exposure with lots of windows. I have heard various opinions from sales people as to what type of furniture will hold up better to sunlight; leather or fabric. Any help?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
freethinker99

If you choose leather, and there is a lot of Sun, a protected leather (which more or less has a painted surface will hold up best) but this leather is less attractive than a full aniline dyed leather (a more natural leather), the protected leather is also hotter in summer an colder and winter.

The leather used in cars is generally protected as any other type of leather would soon deteriorate. Have you ever been in Dallas and got into your car on a very hot day you can't even touch the steering wheel. A protected leather is just about the only leather that would hold up.

On the fabric side the best fabric that holds up to direct sunlight is the "Sunbrella" type of fabric (there are several companies that make this type of fabric).

Another option is to go with white so that fading is not an issue.

Bookmark   January 4, 2013 at 6:14PM
rmanbike

Also remember that its the UV light from the sun that can be damaging. In cars the glass stops most of the UV but everyday household windows are not designed to stop the UV light.

Bookmark   January 5, 2013 at 9:47AM
freethinker99

If you choose to use leather there are leather conditioners with UV protection that you can apply once a year which will help with sun protection.

Bookmark   January 25, 2013 at 8:20AM
freethinker99

Karen, Guardsman, Guardian, and Leather Master to name a few would carry leather conditioners with UV protection.

Bookmark   February 3, 2013 at 5:55AM
More Discussions
Couch for Big and Tall Guy
What suggestions would you all offer on what to look...
happs
Need Beadroom Furniture
Well, two months ago I changed my home furniture. But...
jazmin07
Barcalounger v Lane v Best or other recliner advice
Hi--I think I've done my homework,and I've read other...
sailormass
Who Are Reputable Made In America/North American Furniture Companies?
I am looking for great-room/living room furniture for...
mothersnood
What happens to returned furniture
We recently received a living room furniture and one...
madness76
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™