cleaning soot off rock fireplace surround

pompeiiMarch 24, 2005

My rock wall fireplace looks dingy from 50 years of soot and dust. I have washed it off and that helped some, but I would like to use some sort of cleaner to get the rest of the grime off. I want to keep the fireplace as is, but would just like to brighten it up a bit.

After cleaning the stones, I would like to go over them with a sealer that would add a bit of gloss. I've done this with old dreary tile and it helped immensely.

Does anyone know of a product that will clean embedded grime off a rock fireplace? Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Xanndra

Try oven cleaner. Test it on a small spot first before doing the whole thing.

Bookmark   March 24, 2005 at 11:51AM
ventupete

If that doesn't work there are stone cleaning products out there. Go into a stone/tile store or a stone yard with your picture and ask them for a recommendation on a product.

Bookmark   March 24, 2005 at 8:28PM
pompeii

Thank you for the oven cleaner suggestion, Xanndra. It worked very well. I will post a new photo when finished.

I had tried a cleaner recommended by the chimney sweep we used. It worked okay, but not much better then soap and water. I think it just cleaned off the surface dust and not the soot.

Bookmark   March 27, 2005 at 8:17AM
Xanndra

Glad I could help. That's what 10 years experience in this business will get you--Oven cleaner!

Bookmark   March 27, 2005 at 1:16PM
just_wondering

Will the oven cleaner work on a brick fireplace?

Bookmark   April 5, 2005 at 10:03AM
Xanndra

Yes. Again, test it on a small area first to see if there is any discoloration or other problems.

Bookmark   April 5, 2005 at 11:14AM
Nicnicg22

I tried Quick n Brite on my brick fireplace to remove the soot and absolutely loved it! I could not believe the results! I have tried various other products to remove soot and creosote that did an okay job but there was always a reside still left behind (and many of the products were so toxic I wasn't wild about having them in an area where I would be lighting a fire soon!) I was recommended Quick n Brite by a friend because it is a safe product without chemicals so I didn't have to worry about my children or pets (which I loved). I put the paste on my fireplace with a stiff brush, let it sit about 30 minutes then came back and wiped it off with a damp terry cloth towel. It was like brand new, I have not seen it that clean in 20 years and I did not have to scrub my arms off either! I have been recommending Quick n Brite to all my friends since then and everyone I have shared mine with has been very pleased as well. Great product.

Here is a link that might be useful: Quick n Brite

Bookmark   April 25, 2012 at 5:46PM
Suzi AKA DesertDance Zone 9b

A lemon cut in half does a great job. Just rub it, rinse with water, slice the soot off the lemon half and go at it again. Safe for the environment, and it works. http://www.houzz.com/discussions/2892619#14485752

Bookmark   March 6, 2015 at 5:42PM
More Discussions
Where to find high heat masonry paint for inside of fireplace
I'm having trouble finding a fire resistant or fire...
janeway452
I need opinions on what to do with old fireplace
I have an old fireplace that needs a rehab badly. What...
jbryan21
Yikes! Fireplace smells terrible!
Hey everyone, I just bought a house built in the late...
prettybluehouse
HeatnGlo Mezzo 48 or Napolean Linear LHD50
Please help guide me! We are building a new home and...
supcar1
Do I need a fireplace in Southern California
I am in the middle of renovations in my town home and...
LARemodel
Sponsored Products
Tech Lighting | ELEMENT - 6 Inch Open Downlight Metal Halide New Construction Ho
$360.00 | YLighting
Design Element Jade 72" Double Sink Vanity Set w/ Travertine Stone Countertop -
Modern Bathroom
Abacasa Kids Aqaurium Lt. Blue Round: 3 Ft. 9 In. x 3 Ft. 9 In. Rug
$124.00 | Bellacor
Jeanette Antique Brass 4-Light Floor Lamp
Lamps Plus
Trio Flip Hooks
$19.99 | Dot & Bo
Safavieh Power-loomed Indoor/ Outdoor Red/ Natural Rug (7'10 Square)
Overstock.com
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™