basic questions - facelift for raised hearth fireplace

farfraeMarch 21, 2008

We have a 1970's bi-level house with a brick fireplace in the lower level family room. The fireplace has a raised slate hearth, and propane insert. I want to update the look.

Can cultured stone or tile be applied directly over unpainted brick? We don't have a mantle but I would like to add one.

Hope this in't a dumb question, but can a hook for hanging a picture be added during retiling? The current brick has a hook, but they drilled into the mortar; and you can see where they tried to drill into brick and marred it.

I'll post pics later, camera's batteries are too low.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
edinct

We just had this done to our existing 5'-7" wide X 9'-2" tall brick fireplace. We used cultured river rock and a solid piece of blue stone for the hearth and two cobble stones to make a support for the mantle. The stone was applied directly to the brick, you should be able to add a mantle and hooks while its being installed. It took our mason 3 days to complete, and it looks great.

Bookmark   March 21, 2008 at 9:20AM
ventupete

Cultured stone and other natural stone tiles (travertine, marble, granite, etc.) are typically applied using a fortified thinset mortar which bonds very well to unpainted brick. So it's pretty easy to install it over your existing brick. There's nothing wrong with installing a picture hook using a screw into the mortar so long as they used the right anchor. It's easy to install it into any new surface also by drilling and using an anchor.

Bookmark   March 21, 2008 at 1:26PM
farfrae

Thanks for your replies. My fireplace is about 6ft 2in wide by 8 ft high.
Any idea on price differences for tile vs cultured stone? Are some surfaces less labor intensive to install, which would hopefully decrease $ amount spent.
Also what thickness is the tile or stone. I am wondering about how the insert will adjust to an extra layer over the brick. The insert sticks out with 3 sides, sort of like a bay window.

Bookmark   March 21, 2008 at 5:25PM
More Discussions
How can I update this 60s facade?
The home I'm buying was built in 1959 and I don't think...
demeterchaos
Semi-detached home shared flue fireplace
Hi this is my first post to this forum so forgive me...
hiddentrails
Harman accentra insert wood pellet stove
I'm having a problem with my auger. It won't feed my...
Kyle22
Power for Fan
So I have a very nice Martin sc36 gas fireplace that...
ACwannaBe
Recommendation on direct-vent gas fireplace?
Hi all, We are building a new home and plan to have...
kitchengirl
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™