Finding a Bank

peteyjdFebruary 10, 2009

Does anyone know of a site that tells how safe a bank is? If they own bonds backed by sub-prime real estate or if they received money from the government? I am with Bank of America and the service is a joke. They don't call you back when they say they will. They just emailed my the wrong phone number to call. I have had it. Also they are in serious trouble with the Countrywide and Merill Lynch purchases. Time to say good-bye. Wells has some problems too. ( I live in San Francisco, Ca.). First Republic has a good rep, but guess what? Owned by Merrill, which is owned by B.of A. Any Ideas? And yes I know I'm insured by the government, but if it gets to that point, it would be a huge hassle dealing with them. Better to go now.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana

I belong to 2 different credit unions. Both have always given me excellent service.

Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: Finding a Credit Union

Bookmark   February 10, 2009 at 3:05PM
klabio

Check out Schwab Bank if you are confortable with dealing remotely. They have interest bearing checking (curently 1%), refund ATM fees (unlimited), and just launched a flat 2% rebate credit card.

I've been dealing with banks and credit unions remotely since the early 90s. Any issues have always been dealt with easily.

I have also dealt for years with Pentagon Federal Credit Union but slowly Schwab's deals have been eclipsing PenFed's. If you are eligible they are good choice as well.

Here is a link that might be useful: Charles Schwab Bank

Bookmark   February 11, 2009 at 3:11PM
maryland_irisman

Just an FYI....FDIC only guarantees the principle....not interest. You will get your principle. During the "Thrift" bust some years ago I had some first hand experience with a savings a loan that went belly up. It took 3 months to get my principle only back.

Bookmark   February 11, 2009 at 11:57PM
dreamgarden

Here is another tool that might be helpful in your search.

TheStreet.com Ratings Screener

"Get our proprietary screening data on stocks, ETFs, mutual funds, banks and thrifts, and insurers."

A link that might be useful:

www.thestreet.com/screener/index.html?src=ratingsindex&tab=3

Bookmark   February 12, 2009 at 2:08PM
joyfulguy

At a credit union - they folks wot do business there ... are the folks wot own the place.

ole joyful

Bookmark   February 12, 2009 at 7:35PM
peteyjd

Thanks everyone! That's what I love about this site, I get an answer!

P

Bookmark   February 14, 2009 at 12:24PM
kec01

Credit unions are folding/going out of business in this day and age, too. Do NOT assume that they are safe just because they are credit unions.

Bookmark   February 16, 2009 at 12:46PM
More Discussions
What is the fair ratio?
The living expense is paid between the couple (Husband...
azmom
Programmable Thermostat proof
Does anyone have hard copy proof of the savings that...
rjexit5
Garrett Financial Network
Does anyone have experience with Garrett Financial...
sushipup1
Accounting Question
I was hoping there'd be an accounting forum her on...
andrelaplume2
Experience as a 1-car couple?
We moved into a new home (my first real house with...
ayimera
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™