removing paint drops from brick fireplace

cleanfreakMarch 10, 2007

I have a red brick fireplace which has white paint drips all over it. I assume the paint stains are from another owner painting the ceiling and walls. How can I remove the paint? What is the easiest way to clean the entire brick front once the paint stains are removed?

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ventupete

Unfortunately, because brick is so porous, it's very difficult to remove paint from it effectively as the paint absorbs into the brick. The best way is to hire someone to sand blast it (which will also clean the entire brick front), however, this method is pretty messy when done indoors. If it's just small drops you can try scraping them off with a wire brush. But be careful not to brush too hard as brick is relatively soft and the brush can leave marks and/or discolorations (try it on a small area first). Paint remover can also work although it may not be effective in getting the paint out of the pits and recesses in the brick. As far as cleaining it goes, it depends what you are trying to clean off. If it has whitish deposits you can acid wash with muriatic acid (pool acid) but be sure to follow the directions carefully and wear gloves and eye gear. If it's soot, some household cleaners may work. If you decide to have it sand blasted, that will clean everything off. Hope this is helful.

Bookmark   March 16, 2007 at 1:36PM
More Discussions
See-through fireplace
Does anyone have any experience with the Lennox Montebello...
aswansonid
Lennox Montebello See Through?
Anyone have some first hand experience with this unit?...
niteshadepromises
Bodart & Gonay Optifire zero-clearance wood FP?
While browsing around shopping for a wood zero-clearance...
rosie
Replacing fake logs with glass crystals
I've got a majestic fireplace (direct vent, natural...
sshaw66
Metal Fireplace Mantel; Distance & Depth
Hi, This is my first posting. I apologize in advance...
hariot
Sponsored Products
EcoSmart Fire Firebox 1800DB
$9,990.00 | Viesso
Early Winter Wall Art
Home Decorators Collection
Bionaire Black Electric Fireplace
Overstock.com
Eangee Fortune Sea Blue Cocoa Leaves Tower Floor Lamp
Lamps Plus
Brooke Electric Stove Fireplace
Home Decorators Collection
Outdoor GreatRoom Empire Round Dining Set
LuxeDecor
Villa Folding Fireplace Screen
Signature Hardware
American Fyre Inverted Fire Pit Table - Tuscan Slate with Granite Top Multicolor
Hayneedle
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™