How to do a minimal finish update on furniture?

zaphod42January 25, 2012

Hi! Originally posted this on a different forum and they recommended I put it over here instead. Apologies if duplication causes problems!

I recently purchased a nice mid century dining set at the thrift store. Overall in nice condition. I'll reupholster chairs for sure. The wood finish is pretty nice - a little dull overall with a few areas of wear. It doesn't need to be completely refinished. Is there a product that after a light sanding, I could apply over the top to blend and update the finish? Color is good as is. Thank you!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bobismyuncle

The original finish is almost certainly lacquer for this period unless someone has refinished it in their basement.

Lacquer has the property of re-melting itself and becoming a single film finish.

First clean it (see the link below). For the chairs, I'd recommend getting some aerosol lacquer. Deft is a commonly available brand. For the table top, it's a bit difficult to get an even finish with aerosols. Deft, though, also makes a brushing lacquer that you can brush on a light coat or two. I'd also scuff sand it a bit first to even out the wear areas. Just enough to dull the surface.

The only possible problem with this procedure is if the original owner used Pledge (or any polish containing silicone oil) on the piece. It messes up the surface tension of the finishes applied over it and causes them to fish-eye. There are cures for this, but I'm not aware they are DIY level.

If you have spray equipment, you could also get canned lacquer. But I'm assuming if you have this equipment, you probably wouldn't ask this question. (An observation, not a criticism)

Here is a link that might be useful: saving the finish.

Bookmark   January 25, 2012 at 8:06PM
More Discussions
Couch for Big and Tall Guy
What suggestions would you all offer on what to look...
happs
Need Beadroom Furniture
Well, two months ago I changed my home furniture. But...
jazmin07
Furniture help
Hello My boyfriend and I just moved in and we really...
Penny Dimitrakaki
What happens to returned furniture
We recently received a living room furniture and one...
madness76
casco bay furniture from someone who didnt just join
Hi im looking for reviews on casco bay furniture from...
armstrongarland
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™