Beneficiary IRA ??

zone_8grandmaFebruary 14, 2008

I've done a search on this forum and haven't found a clear answer - and I've already told son to talk to an expert,

but...... if anyone here can help, I'd sure appreciate it.

Son is receiving a distribution from his late father's IRA. He's taking the distribution over 3 years, 17,000 per year.

Does he owe income taxes on it? I believe since it's inherited that he does not. Is that correct?

He's missed the deadline to roll it into an existing IRA - He does want to put it towards future retirement.

Any suggestions?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
terriks

I received a beneficiary IRA a few years ago. There are special rules for beneficiary IRAs, which are rather complicated. He will owe taxes on all disbursals. It cannot be directly rolled over into his own IRA, it must remain a beneficiary IRA, or taxes will be immediately due. I know that I am actually required to take out a portion of mine every year. The amount is based upon my life expectancy. When I received the b-IRA I was 47, and according to the actuarial tables that they used, they determined that I had another 47 years left (crossing fingers that they are correct!). I need to take a minimum of 1/47th out each year, and it does count as taxable income that year. If your son wants to change the account in any way he needs to be VERY careful.

Here is a link that might be useful: Beneficiary IRA rules

Bookmark   February 14, 2008 at 5:14PM
terriks

Below is another very good article on beneficiary IRAs

Here is a link that might be useful: Bankrate.com article

Bookmark   February 14, 2008 at 5:20PM
zone_8grandma

Thanks so much for that info and link! He's missed the deadline talked about in the article. I've already suggested that he talk to our CFP. Now I'm going to make sure he does!
Thanks again.

Bookmark   February 14, 2008 at 6:00PM
More Discussions
Private College Savings - How much is enough?
We have approximately $62,000 saved in a 529 plan for...
RealHousewifeofNJ
I NEED to vent!
I am so UPSET Just received a notice from my credit...
KarenPA_6b
Experience as a 1-car couple?
We moved into a new home (my first real house with...
ked1985
Family Banking Concept, anyone heard of it?
I did a search here and did not see any similiar thread....
rjinga
Buying a new house financial questions?
This seems silly, but I don't have anyone else to talk...
Butternut
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™