42' gas fireplace with realistic flames?

coast2February 10, 2008

Went to hearth shop today to look at the fireplace our builder is spec'ing for our new house--Heat & Glo 8000 TR Oak. We were disappointed with the flames--they were mostly blue and came almost entirely from the front/center of the log pile, leaving most of the left and right sides of the logs dark and lifeless. (I noticed later that even on H&G's Website, photos show the 8000-series flames restricted to the center.)

However, we really liked the flame/log combo of the Heat & Glo 6000 GLX--very realistic, with yellow and orange flames of different sizes and shapes licking up through many different parts of the log pile. The "brick" refractory looked good too.

But the 6000 GLX, at 36" wide, is too small for our family room. The salesperson said that H&G doesn't make a 42" model with the same realism as the 6000 GLX. (We did look at the H&G Escape 42, but we didn't care for the tallness and shallowness of the box or the narrow BTU range. And even though it's a "clean face" design, the logs/flames/refractory didn't seem as realistic as the 6000 GLX.)

So, is there another brand of direct vent gas fireplace at 42" or thereabouts with very realistic refractory, logs and flames? And preferably ceramic glass and a wide BTU range?

Thanks all!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
grinder12000

Fireplaces need a burn in time and ours does not get REAL flames for 10.

Look up Majestic fireplaces. The yare the most realistic - the will cost more but . . . your not buying a car, your buying something that will be a focal point for a long long time.

Stay away from Lenox

Bookmark   February 12, 2008 at 5:09PM
oruboris

Saw a GLX last week, and they are very impressive.

Check out the Mendota line: very similar burn, but they don't have the inbox electric light.

They have a great range of BTUs, but be careful-- some other companies reduce the heat by opening an extra vent flap and sending all the heat up the chimney. Mendotas actually reduce the burn rate.

They are rolling out a clean face model very similar to the GLX, but I haven't seen one running yet.

Here is a link that might be useful: mendota

Bookmark   February 17, 2008 at 2:52AM
Flowerchild

We recently got the Napolean "Starfire", It has the most realistic flames of all the ones we looked at and it is powerful. We have used it way more than we thought we would. We are more of the wood burner type.

Here is a link that might be useful: Napolean site

Bookmark   March 16, 2008 at 11:14AM
sierraeast

ditto napoleon!

Bookmark   March 18, 2008 at 7:49PM
More Discussions
Xtrordinair Fireplace
We were directed to a local shop selling this product....
Lutha
Help me decide on a fireplace unit for new build
We are doing a gas Heatilator unit. Is there much difference...
brodyt
Large Fireplace
Hi. I am trying to have my fireplace in my living room...
mt123
Travertine tile reface on fireplace surround & hearth
Help - We have torn down the old fake stone facing...
pennymw
something stinks in here!
I built a fire in out basement fireplace last week,...
congaman59
Sponsored Products
Cast-Iron Ashland Fire Pit
$199.99 | zulily
Outdoor GreatRoom Ledgestone Tabletop Fire Pit - LEDGESTONE-K
$141.55 | Hayneedle
Country Cottage Garden Gate
$259.99 | zulily
HearthSafe Type 2 Thermal Standard Hearth Pad with Tile - SPM-48W-CT
$499.99 | Hayneedle
Wood Molding & Trim: Bruce Flooring 3/8 in. x 1-1/2 in. x 78 in. Red Oak
$18.40 | Home Depot