Need help with fireplace built-ins design...

lolaurenFebruary 22, 2010

I am trying to design the built-ins and mantle for my fireplace area in great room.

This is what the plan has for dimensions. About a foot on either side of the built-ins and about a foot between the fireplace unit and the built-ins..... the built-ins can be 9 foot maximum (not including the molding on top.) The wall they are on is vaulted and much higher.

I have not been able to find any photos online of what I want.

We will have a flat screen tv above the fireplace (we know the risk... the fireplace will never be on, though.) I like the look of a double mantle or something like this:

However, I do not like open bookcases.

Has anyone seen anything similar that has completely closed off cabinets as built-ins? I am struggling to find any examples to show my cabinet maker... I don't like the idea of filling up bookcases with clutter. I'd rather have storage and hide the items within....

Any ideas? THANKS!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
pamelak

Hello LoLauren-Hope you post photos of the finished project!I love a fireplace flanked by bookcases also.Beveled glass cabinets in a simple design would be gorgeous, but if you are trying to hide stored items then you could do wood cabinet doors with a darker antiqued glaze for interest as you have alot of wood. You didn't mention what your style is -white painted wood, rustic, traditional?
Pamelak

Bookmark   February 24, 2010 at 4:34AM
More Discussions
Gas fireplace that looks real in new build
Yes I know everyone want their gas logs to look real....
asyrp43
Linear Fireplace
Can I put a 60 inch linear fireplace in place of this...
kjez2010
Xtrordinair Fireplace
We were directed to a local shop selling this product....
Lutha
freestanding gas stove flaming out- vent problem?
I have a free standing direct vented gas stove vented...
pooper
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™