Solid Wood Furniture Manufacturers?

BluewaterrocketJanuary 21, 2013

My house burned down last fall and we are rebuilding; consequently, I need to fill an entire house with furniture. I want to buy quality furniture - preferably solid woods. I'm just now equipping myself with the appropriate knowledge to begin this furniture selection/buying adventure, and would welcome any advice whatsoever. I've done some initial searching/shopping, and from my naive eye it's not easy to determine which pieces are solid wood vs. veneered. I was hoping to identify a list of furniture manufacturers that produce hardwood furniture. Does anyone know of such a list? did a search on this forum and came up empty.

thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
emma

I can't help you with companies, but I did buy a solid wood bedroom set which consisted of a deck bed with armoires on each side and mirror in the middle for $5,000., no chest or dresser. A salesman told me you will know the difference in solid wood furniture by the price. He was right!

Bookmark   January 21, 2013 at 7:18PM
rmanbike

Their are many different types of wood and they all have some what different characteristics, so I well designed and engineered piece of furniture will use a mixture of solid and engineered woods (plywood and mdf veneers). Also considering the type of finishes and the processes to apply those finishes. Manufacturers that have many years of experience in building high quality furniture is where I would start; Stanley, Century, Bernhardt to name a few. Kincaid is a option for solid wood furniture.

Bookmark   January 21, 2013 at 8:00PM
sloyder

If you want solid wood furniture I would look towards the smaller niche furniture makers and stores, i.e. Pompanoosuc Mills, Copeland Furniture, Chilton Furniture.

Bookmark   January 21, 2013 at 11:27PM
RichardJames

You should go for online research. Many good online stores are available with high quality furniture with affordable price-list.

Bookmark   January 23, 2013 at 5:33PM
splitrock

I'm in a similar situation. Our furniture was all ruined by a water pipe flood while we were away. The house, which had to be gutted, is repaired (took a year), and the GC has been paid (took another year). Now we need to replace all the furniture. I looked into the companies suggested by sloyd. Thanks sloyd!
Chilton has several pieces that are simply made, and, while not as stylish as the ones I love at Room and Board, are much more affordable. I'm also looking into Gat Creek, which I can buy through Hickory Furniture Mart. We like the look of solid, natural cherry pieces with clean lines. What are you looking for? I'll be very interested in any good sources that are suggested here. Please let me know how you are progressing. I have some idea what you have been through. Good hunting.

Bookmark   January 24, 2013 at 11:04AM
More Discussions
Lexington chez michelle Bedroom Set - 7 piece
Hi, i am purchasing a used 7-piece Lexington chez michelle...
kathietang
Quality Outdoor Furniture Brands/Materials?
I am looking to buy an outdoor dining set, chaise loungers...
wendage2
Couch identity help
Where can I find a similar couch(shape wise)? http://www.neodecodesigns.com/images/portfolio_images/trendybluecontemporary/6.JPG...
Sangeetha Selvaraj
How do I Deep Clean a Filthy Leather Sofa?
I purchased a used leather sofa off Craigslist last...
trofywife
how to buy high end furniture online and save?
Is there a guide to buying highend furniture online? I...
LauraOliver
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™