How to improve the lazy blue flame on a dv logs

ecl3wyattFebruary 14, 2010

I currently have a heat n glo vented gas logs, I believe the model number is the sl 750 tr and the current flame is a very lazy blue flame. I read the owners manual and it stated that it could be a restricted airflow to the logs but that is not obstructed, actually I blew into the air intake and the flame became much higher and yellow and it quickly diminished back to the lazy blue flame. Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do to improve this situation because I am very unsatisfied with them at this time. Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bikesr2tired

A blue lazy flame is actually what you want! This means that the fuel air mixture is correct. The flame of natural gas (mostly methane) burns blue because it contains more hydrogen atoms than carbon atoms which makes the fuel burn cleaner. A yellow flame is indicative of not enough oxygen and incomplete combustion and a blowing, noisy blue flame is indicative of too much air causing a draft and a blowing sound. When you blow at the air intake, you are introducing molecules of water and carbon dioxide which interferes with combustion. Look at the flame on your gas range. It should be blue and steady!

I have a gas stove with a log set and when the unit first turns on, the flames are blue, nearly invisible and very lazy, but when the logs heat up to cherry red the flames turn yellow. Do a little experiment. Hold a nail (with a pliers of course) in the flame of one of your gas range burners. While the nail is cool it will just be a blue flame, but as the nail becomes red hot the flame will become yellow. That's the same idea with gas logs. if your flame isn't turning yellow, it probably means you are not getting any flame contact with the logs. I'm not familiar with your log set but I would try to arrange them so that they are in direct contact with the flames, but just make sure you allow enough time for them to heat up sufficiently to produce a yellow flame. Let us now if this helped.
Jim

Bookmark   February 15, 2010 at 5:16PM
More Discussions
Large Fireplace
Hi. I am trying to have my fireplace in my living room...
mt123
Can woodstove clog a chimney in a month??
We had a Quadrafire 5100 woodburning stove insert installed...
kitasei
Indoor/Outdoor Fireplace
Does anyone own an indoor/outdoor dual sided fireplace?...
rebph
How can I update this 60s facade?
The home I'm buying was built in 1959 and I don't think...
demeterchaos
Feedback on MORSO 5660 unit with blower
Hi all- we're replacing our wood insert to get a sleeker...
thehype
Sponsored Products
14-Inch Wisteria Wall Sconce
$124.20 | Bellacor
Pink & Blue 'It's Worth It' & 'Keep Calm' Poster & Card Set
$13.99 | zulily
100% Silk Kashan Ivory & Red 3'x12' Runner Hand Knotted Oriental Area Rug H7200
BH Sun Inc
Kraus GVR-204-RE Irruption Blue Rectangular Glass Vessel Sink - GVR-204-RE
$139.95 | Hayneedle
Quoizel Inglenook TFIK348VA Tiffany Island Light - TFIK348VA
$949.99 | Hayneedle
Nourison Indoor/Outdoor Nourison Rugs Persian Arts Light Blue 2 ft. 3 in. x 12
Home Depot
Contemporary Indoor/Outdoor Surya Rugs angelo:HOME Winter Sky Blue 2 ft. 6 in.
Home Depot
Tondo 18 Black One-Light Mini Pendant with Blue Cloud Glass
$355.50 | Bellacor
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™