Value of Old Wood Burning Fireplace Inserts

FTHBFebruary 5, 2011

Hello all,

I bought a home that has two older wood burning fireplace inserts. I do not use them nor see myself using them in the future and looking to sweep and seal the chimneys. My co-worker offered to buy them from me but I don't know their value. Anyone know of a way to get them priced?

Thank you in advance.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
christopherh

When you say "older", how much older? if they're pre EPA then they're "Smoke Dragons" and are polluters. They should be sold for scrap.

Bookmark   February 5, 2011 at 7:31PM
berlin

It depends on the brand and the condition, between $50 and $600 each. No, they should not sold for scrap if they are in good shape and someone can use them. Older inserts and stoves don't have to be smoke dragons- it's how they're burned. There's a volcano in iceland that erupted last year, that's a polluter, these older stoves are likely fine pieces of american craftsmanship that could be put to good use helping a family stay warm; a family that might not be able to afford a newer stove.

Bookmark   February 6, 2011 at 1:57AM
christopherh

My next door neighbor has a Fisher stove. The Rolls Royce of stoves in the 80s. But when she damps it down it shuts off all the air and the wood smolders... and smokes.
When the EPA regulated woodstoves, Fisher went out of business. As did 90% of stove manufacturers.

Now there are some great old Vermont Castings stoves still out there as many of my neighbors have had them since the 70s. But most of the old steel stoves are better off scrapped.

Parts are a major problem with the defunct brands today and then some amateur jury rigs a repair and the house burns down.

Bookmark   February 6, 2011 at 5:11AM
kframe19

Anywhere from 1 cent to 1 billion dollars.

With no information on maker, condition, age, heating capacity, etc., there's no reasonable expectation of anyone providing a decent appraisal of value.

Bookmark   February 7, 2011 at 1:23PM
JBaker7063_comcast_net

I have three old wood burning stove doors, one with scene
of Romeo and Juliet on balcony -any thoughts on value of
these doors.

Bookmark   May 13, 2011 at 1:26PM
More Discussions
Harman accentra insert wood pellet stove
I'm having a problem with my auger. It won't feed my...
Kyle22
Linear Fireplace
Can I put a 60 inch linear fireplace in place of this...
kjez2010
Vermont stove
I have a resolute acclaim stove and the sealer around...
edtrac
replacing wood burning stove with wb fireplace, will it work?
Living room had a wood burning stove. There's a 6"...
petecon
Power for Fan
So I have a very nice Martin sc36 gas fireplace that...
ACwannaBe
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™