Can add a gas fieplace to a house?

cathyinbothellFebruary 17, 2013

I'm sorry if this is common knowledge on this board, but I searched to find this answer and couldn't. We are looking for a home in a neighborhood in Arizona. Some homes were built w fireplaces, some not. I have to have a fireplace, but it occurred to me that if we had an exterior wall (outside is stucco), on a one level home, that perhaps we could add one? I'm talking a real gas fireplace that is flush with the interior wall. We would add a mantle and tile and things later. Is it possible to do on a 6 year old home? If so, any ballpark on costs?
Many thanks for your expertise,
Cathy

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
southerncanuck

Cathy,

As costs vary from area to area the only people that can answer your cost question is the people that sell and install them locally. The question as to whether you can or not can only be answered by the local building department and the real question is whether gas is available where you are.

Bookmark   February 20, 2013 at 11:25AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
entrenous

Yes, I am sure you can do this if there is a gas line to the home. I would estimate the cost at 1500- 3500.00, but that is so dependent on who you choose to do the work, how far away the gas line is, the size of the firebox, whether the stucco is genuine stucco and can be matched. Many variables, but you will be adding to the value of your home. Go to a fireplace store to get an idea of the scope of the work, and bring photos on your phone of the space, exterior and interior. Good luck.

Bookmark   February 22, 2013 at 12:36AM
More Discussions
Napoleon Fireplaces - Be Careful
I purchased an expensive Napoleon fireplace last summer,...
joc6820
Recommendations on Double Sided Direct Vent Gas fireplace!
Hello, I'm remodeling my home in California and want...
roadrunnerrita
Do I need a fireplace in Southern California
I am in the middle of renovations in my town home and...
LARemodel
Putting television IN firebox of fireplace
Long time lurker, first time poster. I've searched...
sherrgr
Sponsored Products
Safavieh Cozy Solid Purple Shag Rug (2'3 x 7')
Overstock.com
Luau Portable LED Lamp
Design Within Reach
Shibori Three Sided Hammered Copper Birdhouse - Antique Copper
Signature Hardware
Missoni Home | Nantes Cylinder Pouf
YLiving.com
Umbrella Frog Rain Gauge
$34.50 | FRONTGATE
Leucos | Aspid S65 Suspension Light
YLighting
People viewed this after searching for: