Rebuild inside of Hearthstone Stove

mandy12February 2, 2007

I have owned a HEARTHSTONE stove since 1983 (or perhaps even earlier) it was originally both a COAL and WOOD burning stove. I currently only use it to burn wood.

The metal castings INSIDE the stove need to be replaced.

The outside and soapstone is perfectly fine, but the inside is warped, twisted, some parts appear to be burned out (missing) etc.

I wrote HEARTHSTONE but have not heard from them. I am checking local vendor, but I don't think they do repairs, particularly such a REBUILD of the inside of the stove.

Any suggestions on how best to get this done? I live in Southwest Connecticut.

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
endinmaine

Mandy 12,

I too had a Hearthstove soapstone stove for 24 years and had the same problem. The secondary air pipe inside "vaporized" or just plain melted away also with the metal plates inside that protected the stones. I could get a replacement pipe for $100 but could not locate any metal plating. I thought about using fire brick but would have had to build a holding bracket for the bricks. Later I found that the stone about the side door had cracked and the factory said I could only get a replacement stone of a different color which would have spoiled the looks of the stove. My wife and I decided to purchase a new stove , a hand feed coal/wood stove from Harman and are very happy with it. While not as attractive as the soap stone , it provided much more heat which is why they are bought in the first place. An added benefit is that during very cold spells we use nut coal and like the the burn long times , up to 24 hours and that coal does not create creosote.

Eric

Bookmark   February 9, 2007 at 2:05PM
More Discussions
something stinks in here!
I built a fire in out basement fireplace last week,...
congaman59
Does this old fireplace have options?
Hey everybody! My home was built in 1930 and originally...
Kristin Jennings
Help me decide on a fireplace unit for new build
We are doing a gas Heatilator unit. Is there much difference...
brodyt
Converting wood fireplace to gas fireplace
Help, I'm overwhelmed. Any link to a good site that...
nosoccermom
Feedback on MORSO 5660 unit with blower
Hi all- we're replacing our wood insert to get a sleeker...
thehype
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™