smoke back up...

ribmasterFebruary 9, 2008

my cousin has a free standing fireplace in his small Carriage house that has a TV and tables chairs etc. so in the winter time he lights a fire and he gets a lot of smoke back up ...everything is new,chimney has a cap on it, damper is open wide, the pipe is a 8" into a 6" that goes into a 2 bends then up the chimney and out the top of the roof...any idea why it is (smoke) backing up ...only happens when the doors are open to the fireplace.......TIA

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
christopherh

How tight is the house? It sounds to me there's no draft. Crack open a window and let some air flow in the house.
But I don't understand why the chimney is going from an 8" which is what's needed for a fireplace, to a 6" which is what's needed for a woodstove.
It's like having 3" exhaust pipes coming from your car engine and then halfway through the exhaust system, going down to 2 inch pipes. It's just doesn't work.
You're restricting the flow of the exiting gasses.

Bookmark   February 10, 2008 at 6:58AM
tom_p_pa

Sounds like a fireplace that was installed without any consideration to proper fireplace design. Many contractors just build these from gut feel, but there is much more technical consideration required. It all has calculations...firebox opening, flue size, chimmney height, direction of the roof, etc.

Bookmark   February 10, 2008 at 12:31PM
bikesr2tired

I agree totally with the last 2 posters, but I would like to add several other things that could possibly cause this problem. The chimney should be at least 2' above the peak of the roof. Sometimes nearby conifer trees can cause negative draft depending on which direction the wind is coming from. Does the stove have a catalytic combustor? Is it clean?? Hope this helps! PLEASE get back to us & let us know how you make out!

Jim

Bookmark   February 11, 2008 at 7:11PM
More Discussions
Does this old fireplace have options?
Hey everybody! My home was built in 1930 and originally...
Kristin Jennings
freestanding gas stove flaming out- vent problem?
I have a free standing direct vented gas stove vented...
pooper
Non-angled corner fireplace?
How would you describe this fireplace? I've been trying...
fenix409
direct vent gas fireplace
Hello, I just bought a house and there is a Monessen...
shahgee84
do you recognize this stacked stone?
I would like to install stacked stone and found this...
rosebay
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™