drain pan under frig to avoid ruined hardwood floors?

dlr98004January 25, 2010

We are installing hardwood floors in our kitchen/family room. When we moved the frig to demolish the old tile floor, we noticed a little water underneath - it had collected in the grout lines. Once the hardwood floors are in, this might have been a disaster! Can we build in some sort of a "water drip pan" or moisture detector under the frig to catch any leaks right away and prevent an expensive repair?

We have not installed the plywood underlayment yet, so we have space to install some sort of a drip pan - just not sure if it is worth it... my leak would probably occur where the pan is not located!!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
boxers

don't think a 'drip pan' would be practical. Seems like a lot of the moisture issues are from slow drips from the water line to your icemaker. If your using prefinished flooring then if you had a problem you could simply do a board replacement for the damaged area. There are very inexpensive moisture alamrms you can find in catalogs that would alert you to a moisture issue. Most are sold for hot water tanks but would work for what you want as well.

Bookmark   January 25, 2010 at 11:57AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
glennsfc

I agree...find out what is happening with your refrigerator...could be as simple as an icemaker leak or a cracked drip pan or a drip plan that is not in its proper place.

Bookmark   January 27, 2010 at 8:36AM
More Discussions
bamboo floor fumes--anyone else have this problem??
Hi, has anyone installed a bamboo floor and had trouble...
nikwaters
What is the size of your longest hardwood floor boards?
What ranges are the sizes of your hard wood floor boards...
tlbean2004
Any advise? Refinished floor looking horrible
Hello, I am hoping somebody will have some piece of...
mokotes
carpet comparison
We are looking at 2 carpets right now. Both are Anso...
sutrotower96
LVP Underlayment
Hello all. Like everyone here I am in the middle of...
ryancoc22
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™