help desperate first time diyer, please

ginger_annaFebruary 16, 2009

Hello,

Please, help, don't know what to do. We bought a house built in 1969 and decided to redo the ugly brick fireplace. It is a masonry built fireplace with gas starter that also can burn wood. When we took down the facing brick, that was just decorative, we're left without the 2 brick thick lip that's usually held by lintel. Because we've never done this before, we realized this only after putting up framing around the whole fireplace that will eventually hold marble tiles. I'm afraid that if we leave it like this, it will smoke a lot because there won't be a "return" place for the smoke. Can anyone please suggest any remedy at this stage, without having to take down the framing already in place? How can we add in this "lip" at this point? THANK YOU SOOO MUCH!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ventupete

Can you post a picture - it's hard to visualize what you are describing. Do you mean that you need to add some depth on the top of the front of the firebox opening? Also, I assume you are aware of your local building code requirements with regard to clearances from the firebox to any combustible material, like wood framing (assuming that's what you used). I've seen wood framing get charred right through a layer of stone and cement board. If you don't know how to post a picture I'll give you my e-mail address and you can send it to me.

Bookmark   February 19, 2009 at 8:10PM
More Discussions
1st timer needs pellet stove guidence
The wife and I just bought a new single floor 1800...
bksinaz
Recommendation on direct-vent gas fireplace?
Hi all, We are building a new home and plan to have...
kitchengirl
Where to find high heat masonry paint for inside of fireplace
I'm having trouble finding a fire resistant or fire...
janeway452
Harman accentra insert wood pellet stove
I'm having a problem with my auger. It won't feed my...
Kyle22
How can I update this 60s facade?
The home I'm buying was built in 1959 and I don't think...
demeterchaos
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™