the swedish solution

fandlilFebruary 21, 2009

This morning's NY Times has a column by Gail Collins in which she describes what the Swedes did with their banks' toxic assets, the so-called collateralized debt obligations that Alan Greenspan admits he does not understand.

First, they nationalized the banks that own them. Then they hired unemployed bond brokers and charged them with reviewing these toxic assets, figuring out what they were worth, if anything, and selling them on the open market. Problem solved, or at least a giant step toward solution.

There are all kinds of Wall Street types walking the pavement these days, and they could be employed for a fraction of the excessive salaries they used to earn.

So why don't we follow their example?

Answers: (1) We never do what they do in Sweden. (2) There is a deep fear that the size of the CDO debacle is so huge it would have even more destructive effects on the markets worldwide if the extent of the problem were verified and made public. (3) Winston Churchill was right when he said that Americans can be counted on to do the right thing, after they've tried everything else.

We may be coming close to another big crumble. So keep your seatbelts on.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
patser

We don't follow this example because Sweden has a handful of banks and we have thousands. The numbers simply don't work - there is no comparison.

Bookmark   February 21, 2009 at 6:15PM
fandlil

I agree that the comparison, for this or for anything else, is not entirely appropriate because Sweden is a much smaller country and of course it's traditions differ from ours in many ways and its population is much more homogeneous.

But the approach that they used might still be worth considering here, if we astutely select, say, the ten biggest banks, or whatever number that the numbers crunchers say will "save" our financial system if they are fixed, and let the other fail, merge, or whatever.

Bookmark   February 22, 2009 at 10:20AM
patser

Take a look at the top common stockholders in the banks you want to consider nationalizing. If you nationalize, you wipe out the stockholders forever. Yes, stock values are down but if nationalization is avoided, then the various retirement plans, governments etc have a chance to recoup some of the losses.

See Bloomberg this morning for discussion of what might happen.

Bookmark   February 23, 2009 at 7:17AM
More Discussions
I NEED to vent!
I am so UPSET Just received a notice from my credit...
KarenPA_6b
Experience as a 1-car couple?
We moved into a new home (my first real house with...
ked1985
Buying a new house financial questions?
This seems silly, but I don't have anyone else to talk...
Butternut
How would I sell fur coats?
Let me say, first, please donÂt bash me for having...
linnea56
Private College Savings - How much is enough?
We have approximately $62,000 saved in a 529 plan for...
RealHousewifeofNJ
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™