Do I need a new wood stove?

manorFebruary 6, 2011

I am in a 30 year old brick 1200sq ft bungalow located off the shore of Lake Huron in Ontario. (Kincardine) We take winter seriously here and embrace it.

The house came with a Hughes small to medium sized stove. I don't know how old it is. 10-20 yrs? Non catalytic. It burns okay and there are usually hot embers in the morning to start a new fire.

I just don't feel that it burns hot enough to keep my furnace from coming on. (and my thermostat is set for 66 deg!) I heat with an electric forced air, so am anxious to keep it off $$$$ as much as possible.

I have been looking at the Pacific Energy stoves and it looks they are more efficient and can do the job I want.

Is it worth it? Am I going to be disappointed.

Thanks for your opinions

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kframe19

Well, if your current wood stove isn't providing the heat that you want, one solution would be to replace it with a larger capacity stove.

In order to do so, though, you need to know what heating capacity your current stove has.

How's the insulation in your home? How about the windows? If those are subpar and leaving in lots of winter air, it might be more logical to start there with improvement.

Bookmark   February 8, 2011 at 10:27AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
SouthernChimney

Have you looked up you stove on the web to find specs on it? If its only putting out 40,000 BTUs and you upgrade to an 80,000 BTU stove, I think you'll be glad you did. Also what kind of wood are you burning? The type wood you burn makes a bigger differance then a lot of people think.
You can find more info on this website www.southernchimneysweep.com

Here is a link that might be useful: Southern Chimney Sweep

Bookmark   April 28, 2011 at 10:14PM
More Discussions
direct vent gas fireplace
Hello, I just bought a house and there is a Monessen...
shahgee84
Can woodstove clog a chimney in a month??
We had a Quadrafire 5100 woodburning stove insert installed...
kitasei
Does this old fireplace have options?
Hey everybody! My home was built in 1930 and originally...
Kristin Jennings
Xtrordinair Fireplace
We were directed to a local shop selling this product....
Lutha
1st timer needs pellet stove guidence
The wife and I just bought a new single floor 1800...
bksinaz
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™