Two questions for Dave if you're out there

CindyBelleZ6NJFebruary 19, 2004

Dave, first let me thank you for all the info. you post,it's been very enlightening. A friend of mine asked me this question, I have no idea-if he switches to an interest only mortgage, can he prepay principal? His thought is his conventional fixed rate mortgage is at 6%; he can get an interest only at 4%-he wants to make the same payment every month as he is making now on the conventional 6% mortgage, allocating the "extra" to an extra principal payment-does it work that way? Also, does it make sense when one's mortgage gets below $100,000 to take a home equity line to pay off the mortgage if there are no prepayment penalities? Thank you.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dave_donhoff

Hi Cindy,

Dave, first let me thank you for all the info. you post,it's been very enlightening.

My pleasure!

A friend of mine asked me this question, I have no idea-if he switches to an interest only mortgage, can he prepay principal?

Absolutely!

His thought is his conventional fixed rate mortgage is at 6%; he can get an interest only at 4%-he wants to make the same payment every month as he is making now on the conventional 6% mortgage, allocating the "extra" to an extra principal payment-does it work that way?

Sure! He'll be accelerating his payoff that way.

Also, does it make sense when one's mortgage gets below $100,000 to take a home equity line to pay off the mortgage if there are no prepayment penalities? Thank you.

It may, depending on the desired results and your future visions & expectations of the interest rate markets.

All the best!
Dave Donhoff
Just some mortgage guy ;~)

Bookmark   February 20, 2004 at 6:42PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
CindyBelleZ6NJ

Thank you Dave! As always, a pleasure to read your posts.

Bookmark   February 21, 2004 at 4:29PM
More Discussions
How would I sell fur coats?
Let me say, first, please donÂt bash me for having...
linnea56
What is the fair ratio?
The living expense is paid between the couple (Husband...
azmom
Accounting Question
I was hoping there'd be an accounting forum her on...
andrelaplume2
help!!! advice needed asap for 2nd mortgage
I need to take out $30,000 in equity for desperately...
nene45
Garrett Financial Network
Does anyone have experience with Garrett Financial...
sushipup1
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™