See-Through Fireplace Privacy

mattremodelFebruary 28, 2010

My wife and I are considering purchasing a house that has a see through fireplace between the master bedroom and family room. We love the house, but we aren't a big fan of the fireplace placement. We prefer our guests and children not being able to see into our bedroom from the family room. In the master bedroom, the see through fireplace is on a wall we might want to place our bed against. I am guessing even if putting the bed on that wall provided privacy, we probably wouldn't want to expose our bed to the heat from the fireplace.

Do you know of any options for sheetrocking or otherwise covering up one side of a two-sided fireplace? Are there any concerns when doing this? Would we need to replace the fireplace or can we just cover up the back of it? Are there any other privacy options for a two-sided fireplace?

Thanks,

Matt

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
moonwandrr

Regarding alterations to your see-through fireplace, you did not note whether the fireplace is a wood-burning masonry, wood-burning manufactured, or gas-burning fireplace.
The gas-burning units are CSA design certified, therefore it cannot be altered without use of manufacturer
approved and tested materials. Owner alterations can result in loss of homeowner's insurance under claim. Most Wood-burning manufactered fireplaces are subject to the same issues. Therefore replacement of the units may be the only option, if you want a fireplace in that location in the family room.
If it is a masonry woodburning fireplace , even if with a gas log set, one side can be bricked up in accord with NFPA 211. If a gas logset is used, it would have to be replaced with one for sigle sided use.

Bookmark   March 10, 2010 at 10:10AM
More Discussions
Help me decide on a fireplace unit for new build
We are doing a gas Heatilator unit. Is there much difference...
brodyt
cleaning soot off rock fireplace surround
My rock wall fireplace looks dingy from 50 years of...
pompeii
Fireglass getting discolored
I have a vented fireplace that can burn wood or gas....
anjn
HeatnGlo Mezzo 48 or Napolean Linear LHD50
Please help guide me! We are building a new home and...
supcar1
Yikes! Fireplace smells terrible!
Hey everyone, I just bought a house built in the late...
prettybluehouse
Sponsored Products
Zaneen | Invisibili D8-6033 LED Step Light
$331.20 | YLighting
A716A MC Quiet Bathroom Heater-Fan-Light
Lightology
DreamLine Shower Enclosures Unidoor Plus 53 in. to 53-1/2 in. x 72 in. Hinge
Home Depot
Anfora Fountain by Campania International
SerenityHealth
Charleston Rope Lever Set - Privacy, Passage and Dummy
Signature Hardware